Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Dump truck body extension

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Dump truck body extension

To me tools can mean just about anything used to assist us in accomplishing the task at hand
    You may not think of a dump truck as a tool in the normal seance due to the size.
    And most might think that a 4 axle truck with a 20ft dump body should be large enough. Well yes and no. at 20 ft you can fill the box with way more sand or gravel than you could legally haul weight wise. But just suppose you need to haul trash or crushed wooden buildings often called fluff and your dump fees are a set price no matter if you have an half empty box or a full one.
    in that case you need one of Frank S' dump body extensions
    first you take a few measurements send the truck on its way while you fabricate the frame work which will pin on where the tailgate attaches remove the tailgate pre fit the frame work to make sure it will fit put the tailgate back on and send the truck on its way again while you build the box extension add lights and wire it to connect to the trailer plug
    when finished the truck returns and you spend 15 minutes removing the tailgate and installing the box while the customer is shouting please hurry you forget top take pictures of the completed project.
    the truck returns a couple months later again the customer is in a rush you only get a chance to do a repair inside the old bed and remember to only get a couple of pictures
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6180c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6550c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6547c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6568c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6579c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6605c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6813c.jpg
    Dump truck body extension-dscf6815c.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 28, 2016), kbalch (Feb 29, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Frank! We've added your Dump Truck Extension to our Heavy Equipment category, as well as to your builder page: Frank S' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hey Thanks Frank for a way cool idea!!!! I love it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    If anyone is thinking about adding something like this to their dump-truck there are a few things to keep in mind
    the length of the extension is limited to the distance to the ground in line with the floor of the dump bed when fully raised.
    one other thing is Here in Texas the lowest portion of the extension when the truck is on level ground must be less than 48 inches also the extension can extend no more than 48 inches from the rear of the truck or a DOT bar must be installed for this it would mean the bar would have to be folded in order to raise the bed.
    if in doubt it is better to check with your state's DOT.
    One last thing I built this at the behest of a long time customer and friend of mine. He told me that since having the extension added to his truck it paid for itself in the first month from the reduced amount of trips to the land fill, but the extension is an open invitation to be pulled over by the DOT for inspection when he is not pulling his trailer.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Someone asked about plans for this. I only made preliminary sketches of it, but I can make a set of generic drawings which could be adapted to most square bottom dump bodies and another for for the popular half round tubs.it will just take some time as life has away of taking priorities at times

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information