Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duracell again, unfortunately!

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools

Duracell again, unfortunately!

Another electronic device ruined! I had been using this until about 2015 then into storage during a shop rebuild and just found it this week. I have no idea how long ago this went bad. Every Duracell battery I have had in the last 5 years has corroded and ruined an electronic device! Please be warned.

Duracell again, unfortunately!-duracell-1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Saltfever; Aug 27, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    After losing several expensive flashlights and some other electronic gear to leaking Duracells, I swore off them entirely and bought Energizer (the pink, marching bunny) batteries.

Since using them for about two years, I haven't had a single leaker. I eventually used up the remaining Duracells in applications where, if they leaked, they couldn't harm anything and the contacts were easily accessible for restoration with a Dremel.

Buy some Energizers and try them. It's a cheap experiment and I think you'll be pleased.

Energizer even guarantees no leaks...

http://www.energizer.com/about-batte...eaks-guarantee

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by mklotz; Aug 26, 2018 at 08:54 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    We owe it to our friends and the technical community to get the word out. The warrantee is limited to replacement of a 98 cent battery regardless of the value of the instrument it has ruined! I lost a $1,200 device due to Duracell corrosion.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I lost a $1,200 device due to Duracell corrosion.
    My computer calendar is programmed to remind me to inspect the batteries in every valuable battery-powered device on a regular basis. For equipment that expensive you should be doing something similar.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Anything of value is now stored with no battery inside. They are inserted at use. The initial, expensive, loss was a stored device before the Duracell debacle was known. Low value stuff (clocks, flashlights, etc.) are now changed every year at spring daylight time. I don't check charge . . . just toss them out. Your calendar idea is a great suggestion in lieu of alternate methods.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have some pretty expensive laser surveying and construction leveling equipment that I hardly ever use. I have made up tags and attached them to the carrying or storage cases with the size and number of batteries required then removed all of the batteries when or if ever I need to use them I will install fresh batteries then toss them when finished or use them in other things I don't leave batteries in anything any more unless it is a near daily use item and yes I no longer use duracell
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    After losing several expensive flashlights and some other electronic gear to leaking Duracells, I swore off them entirely and bought Energizer (the pink, marching bunny) batteries.

Since using them for about two years, I haven't had a single leaker. I eventually used up the remaining Duracells in applications where, if they leaked, they couldn't harm anything and the contacts were easily accessible for restoration with a Dremel.

Buy some Energizers and try them. It's a cheap experiment and I think you'll be pleased.

Energizer even guarantees no leaks...

No Leaks Guarantee | Energizer
    I've had both Duracell and Energizers leak, current recovery job is a Mitylite split by Energizers, the mini-maglite was totalled, as was a 6D no-name by Duracell 'industrial' cells within the marked use by date.

Now using GP Ultra's as I've had NONE fail even after the use by date.
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; Nov 6, 2018 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I could be wrong, but I am beginning to form the opinion that the only safe way to guard against battery leakage is to never leave any brand in in anything that you don't use frequently
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I could be wrong, but I am beginning to form the opinion that the only safe way to guard against battery leakage is to never leave any brand in in anything that you don't use frequently
    Exactly! And with the ubiquitous use of electronics in measuring instruments, a financial loss to corrosion is certain. I find the convenience of instant zero, or the ease of absolute vs incremental movement is trivial compared to the risk of corrosion. I am gradually phasing into mechanical everything and don't consider it a step backwards at all. My mechanical height gauge can be set to zero anywhere I want.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I just came upon this battery thread and frankly I’ve had it with standard alkaline batteries. The only problem is finding decent replacements. The reason is pretty simple, I thought I had a good annual replacement program going. That is truck flashlights and other important devices had annual battery swaps with fresh every fall. Still ended up with damaged hardware, some more valuable than others.

The problem is so many devices switched over to AA or AAA that you have a hard time finding hardware that doesn’t use these batteries. DVM’s for example use to use 9 volt transistor batteries. The current one is AA. Even the house thermostat uses AA.

I’ve heard it said that the AA lithium batteries don’t leak but haven’t been able to verify this. If anybody has some info I’d love to hear it. Also has anyone ever seen a “coin” cell leak? I have a number of devices using these coin cells and so far no leaks.

I guess a leak isn’t as bad as a lithium polymer battery catching on fire.

For flash lights I’m switching over to the Milwaukee system and their rechargeable 12 VDC batteries. They work with the tools and replace just about everything but penlights. Somewhat expensive but also more usable in my estimation. Basically one truck light and one for the house. They actually might be cheaper considering how many flashlights I’ve purchased over the years. Some corroded to hell in a year or two.

Thread Information