Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Duracell again, unfortunately!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Exactly! And with the ubiquitous use of electronics in measuring instruments, a financial loss to corrosion is certain.
    This is certainly true of Alkaline AA & AAA batteries. I’m not so certain of other batteries and would love clarification if some types leak more often than others. I’ve never have had a coin cell leak for example. Apparently the iron phosphate Lithium don’t leak either.
    I find the convenience of instant zero, or the ease of absolute vs incremental movement is trivial compared to the risk of corrosion.
    For me the more functions the better! However the reason I’m very inclined to buy digital these days is that they are easier on old eyes. Honestly I never thought I would say that but I use to wonder why the old machinist use to run around with magnifiers clipped to their glasses. Sadly 35 years later I know why!
    I am gradually phasing into mechanical everything and don't consider it a step backwards at all. My mechanical height gauge can be set to zero anywhere I want.
    I figure my mechanical goodies will be usable after the next nuclear war. Otherwise I will enjoy digital for as long as I can. I just need to be careful about what I buy battery wise.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Grandfather would put a small piece of rigid paper between the battery terminal and contact point in the device, usually a glovebox flashlight. He'd then attach a masking tape label to the case of the device with "paper" scrawled upon it. I found out about this trick because I finally asked Mom "what is wrong with Grandpa, he is labelling all kinds of things that clearly aren't paper as paper".

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Also has anyone ever seen a “coin” cell leak? I have a number of devices using these coin cells and so far no leaks.
    Yes, though with careful cleaning we managed to recover the digital micrometer it'd leaked in.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DrengusCraic View Post
    Grandfather would put a small piece of rigid paper between the battery terminal and contact point in the device, usually a glovebox flashlight. He'd then attach a masking tape label to the case of the device with "paper" scrawled upon it. I found out about this trick because I finally asked Mom "what is wrong with Grandpa, he is labelling all kinds of things that clearly aren't paper as paper".
    Works to stop discharge, doesn't prevent the chemistry eating it's way of of the battery casing...

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Unfortunately, my poor contractor stored his laser sensor here during the winter. These were new about 4 months ago! Notice the "Good-To" date of 2025! They keep cropping up everywhere.

Duracell again, unfortunately!-duracell-.jpg

Duracell again, unfortunately!-duracell-b.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information