Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements

Thread: Dust Collector for entire garage

Thanks

Dust Collector for entire garage

Hey guys,
    I found this forum from the Hotrodders.com homemade tool section. I was looking for some advice to build an inexpensive dust collection/filtration system for the garage in my home. This is a 3 car garage but I am doing all of my work on the single car side of the garage. I have an old car that I am restoring so I kick up alot of dust from grinding, striping paint and knocking off rust from the sheetmetal.

I found this guy's website searching Google and think he has a great idea that would work well for me. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the link to the site anymore. Here are some similar ideas on Youtube:

I am looking for opinions and advice.

I was going to use a "Whole house fan" from Home depot but this are $150+ each. I considered an attic fan but those are also pretty expensive.

What type of fan do you suggest I use that can help me collect the dust in my garage while I work for less than $100?

Thanks
    David J. Gingery Publishing has a book on building any type of fan you could imagine. Dave's gone but his genius lives on!

Thanks
    im in about the same place. i bought a cloths dayer on craigs list for $15 and plan to use the blower and motor to build my dust collector. not sure it would cover a whole house but consider a furnace bllower, they are surely powerful enough,

Thanks
    Here's an entry for a homemade blower that's used in a dust collection system - Homemade Dust Collector Blower

HTH

Thanks

Cheap and quick: use a blower from an A/C or central heat and air unit.

I am looking for opinions and advice.

I was going to use a "Whole house fan" from Home depot but this are $150+ each. I considered an attic fan but those are also pretty expensive.

What type of fan do you suggest I use that can help me collect the dust in my garage while I work for less than $100?[/QUOTE]

I would simply go to your local A/C (I am in Florida) or central heat and air guy and ask for one. Probably free. You can even put it outside the garage and create simple ductwork; or, keep it inside, run through filters and conserve heat.

Ken (Rustic Woodcrafter)

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information