Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dykem Applicator Try an empty Sharpie.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Dykem Applicator Try an empty Sharpie.

The brush in the Dykem can is a bit stiff for my liking and leaves a heavy layer of dye on the parts.
    Sharpies are quick and easy to use but they are not as durable as Dykem.

I found that the top of my large Sharpie was threaded so a very easy to use applicator was at hand.
    Use care when filling the Sharpie with Dykem. You can over fill it. If you do, just pour the excess back in the Dykem can. It also occurs to me that the ink for ink jet printers could be used to re-fill a screw on top sharpie. Black and Magenta should work well. I think that ink jet ink is more of a permanent ink since it is so hard to remove it from your hands if you happen to get some on yourself. Not sure if alcohol would remove it.

I find the new Dykem Sharpie unit to work well. It leaves a light and even coat of dye on the parts.
    Removal using alcohol is quick and complete.

Don't try this in the kitchen......I suggest doing the re-fill over some news paper in the shop and wear a pair of latex gloves. Keeps the stain off your hands.

My sharpie was not totally empty so I have a mix of red and blue but it still seems to work well. I think the dilution of the Dykem with the red sharpie ink is not quite as durable as pure Dykem. So it might be worth cleaning out or purge all of the old red prior to refilling with Dykem to get a tougher film. I don't think I will do that but some might want to. I find that both Dykem and Sharpie ink is very soluble in alcohol. I use the high concentrate stuff from the hardware store.

Happy layout and

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dykem Applicator   Try an empty Sharpie.-dscf0001.jpg   Dykem Applicator   Try an empty Sharpie.-dscf0002.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 20, 2020), baja (Mar 20, 2020), benkeller3 (Jan 4, 2018), bobs409 (Dec 12, 2016), Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), high-side (May 14, 2020), Karl_H (Mar 19, 2020), Little Rabbit (Mar 19, 2020), Paul Jones (Nov 11, 2016), PJs (Nov 15, 2016), Sleykin (Mar 19, 2020), thoms_here (Jan 14, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016), will52100 (Jan 5, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Dykem Applicator to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Nov 11, 2016), rlm98253 (Jan 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    JR,
    This looks like a good alternative to the Dykem brand 2 oz. felt tip applicators. I have been using these in blue and red but the color film doesn't flow on as dark as the ones with a brush. These seems to work a little btter when stored with the cap end down. Unfortunately the Dykem felt tip sections have to be pried-off for refilling and not worth the effort. I like the Sharpie advantage with a threaded applicator top.
    Paul

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 15, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks for your comments Paul. I am not sure if all of the larger Sharpies have removable tips. I have used the Magnum Red as shown in my pictures and I just unscrewed the top from a black one labeled as King Size. Hope they continue to use threaded tops.

One thing to note is that the threaded tops do not seal. If any excess liquid is still in the tube and it is set with the point down then the excess liquid will drain out. I work around this by "draining" the refilled sharpie back into the bulk Dykem can to make sure all of the liquid was absorbed by the felt inside the sharpie can.

Right now I want to use up my refilled sharpie so I can get a better blue color out of it but it works fine as is.

Cheers, JR

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    You can buy empty refillable markers for about the same price as what a Jumbo Sharpie costs, Just search Refillable Marker.
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Al8236 For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 20, 2020), Paul Jones (Nov 13, 2016), PJs (Nov 15, 2016), thehomeengineer (Feb 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Refillable Makers; who knew? I was unaware of Dykem brand markers, but Marks-Alot have been OK for me. I use red for grinding operations, blue or black elsewhere. Not sure why two colors...red shows best on ground surfaces. Did some ultrafine boring past couple days. Marking used on each spring cut, locations and size repeated so closely the mark was removed only where the previous finish at .006 per rev and .0015 actually intersected with a zero radius boring tool. A comparison might be two threads of the same diameter but different pitches.

And while the topic is running. I found a "PILOT SC-6600" refillable to mess with; no pun intended. Barrel is about 1" diameter x 4", felt tip is 10mm. Still available, in the 6 buck range. There also is the "MOLOTOW" line---and when I say line I mean line; up to 60mm wide, that's a mean line awright! Not priced on their site. Its a pump style, like a paint marker.
    Others; Angelus, Montana...applications specify paint or dyes. Paints need viscosity less than milk; comparable mammalian version not specified.

Our collective workaround has traction already at work; being able to walk around with Dykem or scribe-able equivalent in a pocket. No one seems all that thrilled with the brush in cap applicator.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Nov 15, 2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: 'cause I was surfing...again. And laughing.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 13, 2016), PJs (Nov 15, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I don't know if you can still get them, but I remember back in the early 80s having a Holbien graphic arts marker that had a felt that was about 1 1/2" wide Refilling it was a bit of a bother, as I would suspect most refillable markers would be
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 14, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    One and a half inches wide. Now that would be a good one and I shall try to see if they are still around. The Marks a Lot always impressed me. Seems like they have a lot of ink in them and would be a good choice for a throw away type.
    Thanks for all the great comments.

Cheers, JR

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Ok, the only Holbien I found were "collectors" items and priced accordingly....Yikes.

So I did find a wide one that is 15mm wide on the bay and it is:
    MOLOTOW MASTERPEICE 460PI - SPEEDFLOW INK MARKER - 15MM WIDE NIB - PERMANENT
    From GB and costs almost as much for shipping as the cost of the marker but that is not unusual for eBay.

Also found a 60mm wide one in the UK:
    MOLOTOW MASTERPEICE 760 - COVERSALL INK MARKER - 60MM WIDE NIB - PERMANENT
    On the bay also.

Cheers, JR

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 14, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    JR the next time you just happen to find yourself shopping 'gasp' in which ever store you are dragged kicking and screaming into. Mosey over to the floral flagrance air freshener department. My wife used to buy a particular one that had a 1" wide felt wick in it when it was empty I used to unscrew the top and pull out the wick, it was about 2 ft long then after they had completely dried, when she wasn't looking I would toss them in the laundry, once they were washed and dried they made excellent swarf stops or way protectors on my lathe.
    Upon thinking about the dykem ink dispenser it somehow made me think of those. it has been several years since she bought them but if thye are still available I imagine one might make a fair dinkem extra wide dykem ink marker
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 14, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 20, 2020), Paul Jones (Nov 17, 2016), PJs (Nov 15, 2016)

Thread Information