Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Easy forge/Foundry

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Very cool I just made one a month ago only no bottom flame basket ,good job al

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hilerioal@outlook.com For This Useful Post:

MountainMan (Aug 6, 2018)

Thanks

MountainMan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by zetuskid View Post
    I got the forge idea but I’m lost on your Concept of melting on the turkey frier. First, how do you provide heat under the frier(gas?)
    Also looks like your drop down pipe from the forge is in the way of sitting anything on top of the frier plate. Does the picture not show what I’m missing or another explanation.
    Thanks
    By the way it is an excellent build and easy enough for most people to build with a little luck dumpster diving.
    I just used the turkey fryer for the stand. It is a coal forge....you dump the coal in the brake drum and use a source of air on the intake side of the Tee and the bottom of the Tee is capped off. It is used for a ash dump after the forge cools down. I will post a video of it this weekend.

2000 Tool Plans
    Dave
    "I have not failed...I've just found 10,000 ways that wont work"
    Thomas Edison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainMan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    My original plan was to use a old hand crank forge blower but those things are no where to be found in my area (South east) so for now I have a hair dryer strapped to the intake line with a rubber boot. I believe the duty cycle on the hair dryer is about 2minutes. After the 2 minutes it turns off and wont turn back on for 5min. I either need a commercial hair dryer or to stumble across a forge blower at a fair price
    I have an old draft inducer off a furnace I am going to use to make a blower its 110v. So all you need is a switch to operate it but you can find them cheap on ebay like around 40$-80$

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John2014 For This Useful Post:

MountainMan (Aug 7, 2018), PJs (Aug 7, 2018)

Thanks

MountainMan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by John2014 View Post
    I have an old draft inducer off a furnace I am going to use to make a blower its 110v. So all you need is a switch to operate it but you can find them cheap on ebay like around 40$-80$
    That's a awesome idea John. I wonder if a dimmer switch would work to control the speed of the fan. I think those blowers run at a really high rpm so if there was a way to control the speed it would be perfect. I'm going to look into it and ditch the hair dryer.
    Dave
    "I have not failed...I've just found 10,000 ways that wont work"
    Thomas Edison

Thanks
    I use a very similar design and works great, if the hair dryer cracks up like the one I pinched from the missus, then try a cheap heat gun, cut the wires for the heating element and it will run forever.
    Nice job

Thanks
    If possible also try to use just regular mild steel instead of galvanized steel because if it gets hot galvanized material can give off some nasty fumes that can make you sick. I know that the location of the parts will not be in direct heat but the chance is still there or use in a well ventilated area.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    That's a awesome idea John. I wonder if a dimmer switch would work to control the speed of the fan. I think those blowers run at a really high rpm so if there was a way to control the speed it would be perfect. I'm going to look into it and ditch the hair dryer.
    You can control the air flow by partially blocking off the inlet side of the blower. Make something you can slide across the inlet to adjust the air flow into the blower. Less air in less air out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information