Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Easy setup for MT2 morse taper making

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks for the link Jon I am downloading the Connelly book now

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Note there is a small file of the raw scanned book page images, and also a huge file that I believe has been OCR'd (optical character recognition), which should give you the ability to search the text by keyword. I forgot to mention that advantage of ebooks - keyword searching.

The recent advancements in understanding of learning disabilities is fascinating. Dyslexia, autism spectrum disorders, non-verbal learning disorder, etc. People who were previously categorized as dumb are now respected as "eccentric geniuses". Standardized tests are being reworked to account for them, corporate recruiters in certain tech fields are favoring them, and being "a little different" is becoming a bragging right rather than an embarrassment.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Jon, I found the PDF WITH TEXT to be the smaller file, and you can search for text (20.1 Mbytes). I initially down loaded the PDF (only title), which was 1.6Gbytes and I could not save it. It don't make any sense to me as the smaller file is still a photo of the book, as the text curves inward near the spine. But with text, it's smaller. Some sort of compression must have been done.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Jon, I found the PDF WITH TEXT to be the smaller file, and you can search for text (20.1 Mbytes). I initially down loaded the PDF (only title), which was 1.6Gbytes and I could not save it. It don't make any sense to me as the smaller file is still a photo of the book, as the text curves inward near the spine. But with text, it's smaller. Some sort of compression must have been done.
    A lot of the file size of the PDF file may be due to the resolution of how the copy was scanned I used to have a scanner that by default scanned at 4800 DPI I once scanned a 900 page manual at the default setting then the file when I converted it to a PDF binder was too large to fit on 3 4.5 GB DVDs After a compression which reduced the DPI to a more respectable 600 the manual would almost fir on a standard CD
    As far as not being able to save the large file you downloaded you might want to have a look under C/users/ name/ downloads I'll lay odds that you have many gig's worth of files there If you have a zipp program zip them 1 by 1 name them then save them to a new folder then you can empty your download folder to free up lots of drive space
    My download folder currently has 250 gigs worth of files plus I have most saved in other folders for easy searching, but I have a 2 TB main hard drive plus 3 external hard drives that I store things on, and not as often as I should back up my main HD. Not regularly backing up my files photos and other works has already cost me millions of photos and at least 6 book transcripts that I was working on over the years.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    As far as not being able to save the large file you downloaded you might want to have a look under C/users/ name/ downloads I'll lay odds that you have many gig's worth of files there If you have a zipp program zip them 1 by 1 name them then save them to a new folder then you can empty your download folder to free up lots of drive space
    It downloaded OK, and I could view it, but when I tried to save it from the temp folder (via adobe "save file as") to My Documents\metalworking stuff, adobe did it's normal notifications about compressing for fast screen viewing, and about 5 minutes later said there was an error. I still could view the 1.6G file, but not save via adobe.

So I found the original file that I downloaded and saved in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp, copied then pasted to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\metal working stuff, it took about 15 minutes, but I copied using window explorer. And I could launch it from that location without issue.

What's more perplexing, and I guess I never paid attention, is that Firefox put the file in the weird C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local settings\Temp folder, but my firefox setting is to put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads, what is in that folder is windows type files, *.exe, *.zip *.msi. So I'm confused why all files are not put in this folder. And I can't find where the setting is for how (files opened with other applications) are getting into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp.

I started with DOS, I like that it puts things right where I expect. But every darn new version of windows, they try to help me, and create virtual folders that I don't have a clue where they are physically. MESSAGE TO MICROSOFT, "Please stop trying to help me!!!!!". There's no such thing as imaginary numbers, but there are imaginary folders.
    Last edited by metric_taper; May 15, 2017 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    ...There's no such thing as imaginary numbers...
    Bite your tongue. Without imaginary numbers we wouldn't have the most amazing equation ever, Euler's identitiy...

e^(i*pi) = -1

An irrational number raised to an imaginary, irrational power is equal to an integer. Mind-blowing.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    MESSAGE TO MICROSOFT, "Please stop trying to help me!!!!!". There's no such thing as imaginary numbers, but there are imaginary folders.
    Microsoft might not be trying to help you nearly as much as themselves. They'd like things where they want them; while remoting-in and programs that sift user traits.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Bite your tongue. Without imaginary numbers we wouldn't have the most amazing equation ever, Euler's identitiy...

e^(i*pi) = -1

An irrational number raised to an imaginary, irrational power is equal to an integer. Mind-blowing.
    That Euler dude came up with a lot of things I used to use at work.

I really dislike calling i imaginary. Complex is OK. But Imaginary to a youthful mind imparts a discouragement, and for some, a brick wall.

As I'm just a wild ape with a language adaptation, and words are what gives me rational thoughts, using 'magic' type words to define what clearly exists, should be avoided.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Microsoft might not be trying to help you nearly as much as themselves. They'd like things where they want them; while remoting-in and programs that sift user traits.
    All I see with every new windows version (and Office) is the same old stuff, modified so I have to relearn how to do the same thing, with no improvements.

OK, they simplified the device driver side, by standardizing the interface, making 3rd party hardware vendors comply to an interface standard. A good thing to do, as that was always a major problem with Win95/98/2000. I still use WinXP, but have a 2nd computer with Win7. Only because MS sells compilers for 3rd party software, that purposely wont run on older win versions, forcing me to upgrade. I'll see how long Win7 runs before they abandon it. Firefox just stopped support and I'm on it's last version that will run XP.

I do worry that their 'free' winX is a ploy to force everyone to put all their data on the 'cloud' so it can be accessed, and held ransom when they decide to charge a monthly fee for the OS.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    There is only 2 things clouds are good for shade or rain. My data is heavier then air so it is not going into a cloud
    the day I have to go to a subscription service to run my computer is the day when I'll buy stock in a #2 pencil company

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2017)

Thread Information