Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EDM (electric discharge machining) Machine

Thanks
    During my apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner we used EDMs to form forging dies, a carbon electrode was copied of the plaster master and then burnt into the blocks of tool steel, we also used copper wire for removing broken drills etc. The coolant we used was a mixture of kero and light oil.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Congratulations Scorch,
    I have operated EDM machines wire and sink but never thought a home made one was possible especially from used parts. As for uses we used to erode out sheared studs from engine parts and also erode holes in hard steels with no loss of hardness.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Bloody useful for making any form of internal shaft features such as keyways or splines. one very special use would be for cutting hex for allen keys into eccentric bolts for making your own mitebite work holding clamps. I started a plunge EDM about four years ago and well pretty much still starting the project. I do have a few parts obtained for the build but other things got in the way like getting into a CNC conversion for an old mill. A friend of mine in Canada is also big into CNC milling and has started researching his own build of a wire EDM. To say his influence isnt rubbing off would be a darn right lie. My refference source was the other book, yet only two authors spring to mind when it comes to home built edm. The one mentioned above and Benjamin Fleming "EDM how to book" Another good contact/source is
    https://baxedm.com/

who knows one day i might actually pull my finger out and get on with it, that and the Quad-Copter

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jul 11, 2020 at 06:50 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thread Information