Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "electric" drill press handle

Thanks

almarghi's Tools

"electric" drill press handle

Hi all
    in my first post I want to show you my ideea of a drill press handle. It containes a 3 position switch with central "zero" for selecting the desired direction, "fwd" or "rew". I designed it mostly for tapping."electric" drill press handle-handle.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to almarghi For This Useful Post:

allenz (Oct 28, 2023), baja (Dec 26, 2018), bimmer1980 (Aug 30, 2018), jamesjinks (Oct 8, 2018), Jon (Aug 28, 2018), Miloslav (Dec 25, 2018), mr mikey (Nov 1, 2022), Paul Jones (Aug 29, 2018), PJs (Aug 31, 2018), rgsparber (Sep 2, 2018), rlm98253 (Feb 17, 2022), rossbotics (Aug 29, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 29, 2018), Sleykin (Feb 17, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Sep 3, 2018), TSiArt (Aug 30, 2018), whitebear (Dec 4, 2023)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Nice idea and very nice 3D printed part.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

almarghi's Tools
    Thanks !
    it took about 5 hrs to print it because of 75% infill and solid layers every 2.5 mm.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by almarghi View Post
    Hi all
    in my first post I want to show you my ideea of a drill press handle. It containes a 3 position switch with central "zero" for selecting the desired direction, "fwd" or "rew". I designed it mostly for tapping.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handle.jpg 
Views:	1083 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	25329
    What a cool idea!! Easy to use?

Thanks

almarghi's Tools
    very easy to use. In some future I will redesign it, just tot make it a little bit slimmer.

Thanks
    I had this garbage drill press at work. I set up a foot switch to go.
    But this foot pedal switch can be expanded to this idea . Forward and Reverse.

Cool idea .

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks almarghi! We've added your Drill Press Handle to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: almarghi's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    That's a really good ydea! My old 1950-something Craftsman drill press has the switch in a very hard to find location on the left side up fairly close to the belt. I never thought of extending hte switch on a "dongle" (that's what we would call it in the computer world)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I admire this project. I power-tap frequently on various machines, our drill press being the least accommodating. This would solve it.
    I'm interested what means attain a convenient "o'clock" position. Table height is a good start, with tapping a relatively shallow operation. Could a clamp substitute a knob, readily moved to any of the three arms, or 3 half-knobs?

Digging around, turned up what seem a finger operated cutting fluid dispenser. O-Rings deteriorated, but the remainder seem fine, but haven't determined all parts are present. Too busy working for time to dive into it. A shop-made thing, it seems to use a reservoir, small capillary tube, and a spring loaded 'piston', in a compact aluminum body. Gravity fed, the O-ringed piston rod interrupts flow from vented tank to lower tube. Lower tube, I envision inside a sleeve to aim fluid where intended. A light compression spring is missing (?). Cool part, it could be set where other hand [left for most of us] could operate, while right is engaged feeding drill or tap.
    Sprays and brushes are fine but use w-a-y more liquid than needed and triple clean up effort afterward.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Back when I had a drill press that had the adjustable rotational speeds to do power taping I had 3 different sizes of the tap o matic style self reversing devices. No need to reverse the drill press.
    the only drill press I ever had that could be stopped instantly is my 7.5 HP Cleeremen but it is a jig drill not a drill press per-say.
    I have been thinking about converting 1 of my belt driven drill presses to a change gear head using a variant of

LMMasterMariner's http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/2...ans-more-69285
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information