Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Elliot Milling Machine CNC Conversion

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools

Elliot Milling Machine CNC Conversion

Having got the CNC bug after building a 3D printer i'm now automating everything.
    My most recent Project was to convert my milling machine.

Elliot Milling Machine CNC Conversion-img_0099.jpg

Having got to grips with GRBL, the Arduino and still having a stock pile of stepper motors and drivers left over from my plasma table build. I have now converted my milling machine.

I've always been proficient with Autocad and producing 3D drawings and always wanted to go the next stage of machining my own designs. There are some good guys here who have a machine shop "Complete Engineering" who have knocked out jobs for me in the past but with owning my own Milling machine I wanted to convert it so i could do my own work on it.

When I first looked at the project I was aware that the X and Y axis would be the easiest to convert and the Knee (Z Axis) would be the hard part due to the weight and complexity of driving it.

It actually turned out the X and Y axis were the hardest, X because of the self feed and Y because of the method the old guys had used to build the machine.

On the pedestal (Z axis) I removed the spring from the pillar drill feed to see how i could attach to the shaft to provide me the Z axis. This is something i strongly suggest others don't do, its like the most ferocious escape of a mad animal you will experience in your whole life. As it turned out i didn't even need to remove it - bugger. Anyways a method has been achieved for all axis and i'm pleased to say it works brilliantly.

Still need to fine tune for accuracy.
    more pictures and updates to follow

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 25, 2016), Paul Jones (Jul 29, 2016), PJs (Oct 31, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 24, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks MeJasonT! We've added your Mill CNC Conversion to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: MeJasonT's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Just a quick update before I launch the design documents onto the site.
    I had a small issue with the Acme bar for the Y axis, it started jumping when the table was at the Y zero position.
    It turns out the shaft not being suspended at both ends was causing me issues as the two helical gears were pushing each other away. I have had to devise a dead centre to support the shaft. All is good again. Now to find something to make - the machine upgrade was kind of the project.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    This project is ont dead, it has simply evolved
    starting a new post

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information