Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine hoist

Thanks

engine hoist

I'm building a engine hoist in my garage using 2x4x1/4" steel tubing. How long of a span can i go that will support 500lbs center load?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A lot depends on how the tubing is going to be fixed at the ends and will it have to be moved around while supporting the load
    But 10 ft would be about the limit assuming it was not to be moved while loaded and it was fixed so that no possibility of roll over or twisting could happen

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

engine hoist reply

Quote Originally Posted by 1money View Post
    I'm building a engine hoist in my garage using 2x4x1/4" steel tubing. How long of a span can i go that will support 500lbs center load?
    Hi 1money. Everything will depend on your design. Just some perspective: the formula for bending force is (force (mass in kg multiply by gravitational acceleration 9.81) multiply by distance (meters). That means that 500 lb mass is 1500 at the end of a 10 ft boom

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Why would you want to be any more than the standard 6 feet of almost any engine hoist I have ever used? I have even replaced a Chevy 454 big block in a truck with mine.

Thanks
    1 Ton Engine Hoist $729 from harbor freight. You can't build it for that.
    1 ton Capacity Telescoping Gantry Crane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine hoist-1-ton-hoist.jpg  

Jep

Thanks

Engine hoist

My advice is install an air over hydraulic 8 ton ram. Not over a 6 foot reach , adjustable boom length, adjustable front and back legs . Never have the boom extended past the length of the legs. Solid steel wheels swivel front and rear.

Thanks
    Using 2 x 4 x .250, which is a "tad" of overkill, probably around 25 feet. Using the average dimensions of most common engine hoists sold commercially, you probably don't need anything thicker than 11 gauge. If you're welding it, as well, you'll get better penetration with a small welder on the thinner stock.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Two words in the OP's post stand out the first is span the 2nd is center. To me this says he is either wanting to permanently fix a 2x4 tube beam or he is wanting to build a gantry style like shown in post #5
    Had he said words like reach end or tip this would have meant to me he was thinking about those described in posts #4 & 6
    JoBotha I'm afraid you may have dropped a zero. At any rate if one were to either construct a lifting device with either a 10 ft beam length fixed on both ends or one with a 6 ft total reach assuming it was supported on 1 end and the lifting point was at 5 ft, the total stress on the end would be close to double that of a gantry style where a 10 ft beam were used having the load centered on it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I just bought my telescoping gantry crane off Kijiji for $75.00. I almost felt guilty (almost).

Thanks
    I am permanently installing 2 pieces of tubing on the ceiling with a traveling one between. Thank you for the replies.

Thread Information