Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Please post the current dimensions you find. As you mentioned, it is a great idea for a number of things.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Just a follow up guys. So far I've checked Walley World and Home Depot and have not found these pepper roasting pans (actually anything pepper roasting related). Kinda disappointed because the shelves have obviously been recently stocked for the spring grilling season.

So got on the net and looked up pepper roasters on Amazon. Not exactly a fan of doing business with them so still looking locally. However there seem to be many options but unfortunately the important data (the hole size) is left out on many of the listings. Home Depot also has a couple of listings but apparently the item that started this thread is gone, sadly they don't spec hole diameter on any of the products.

I may try some other stores around town as I hate to order something via the mail and then have to return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will have to run down to the local hardware store to see if they have anything similar. If the spacing is good that would make for a real nice R8 collet holder.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    This quote is from the original thread posted here.

". . . nobody in the store knew what I was talking about, even with a picture. I ordered on-line and while it was free shipping to the store it was sent to my house. I checked all other links provided but unfortunately, there are no hole dimensions on any of them. Be careful, just as pepper diameters will vary . . . assume the Chinese hole puncher will also."

Two years ago none of the racks were available in the store just as today. However, this 36 hole rack is still available at HD on-line today, still without dimensions! I thought you were considering the smaller 1.019" diameter holes for other tooling. Maybe the hole dims have changed again back up to the original size! The only way to find out is to order one on-line and return it if the dims are unsuitable. If you read the original thread you might get a better picture.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Mar 28, 2019 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    If you have a few ton hydraulic press or even a larger manual arbor press it would be possible to first machine and then harden some form of a rounded-corner forming tool to sightly open-up the roaster holes in the pepper roasting rack. It wouldn't take very much manual vertical pressure to make the slight hole change and the new rounded corners would be a better fit.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    A great idea, Paul. Frans S made the same suggestion here (post #14) and included a drawing of the dimple die that could make the part you suggest.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information