Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster

I have been re-organizing storage in my shop now that I retired and have the time to do this. This ER32 collet rack is a stainless-steel pepper roaster rack from Home Depot store. You can find it in the barbecue section. Sometime in August 2016 at HMT we saw another article about a ER32 collet rack made from one of these racks (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/collet-rack-49589 by hardtail69 ). I bought one of these on sale for $7 and planned to use it but never started the project until now. The pepper roaster hole sizes are 1.135” in diameter and a good fit for the ER32 collets.

ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster-er32-collet-rack-side-view.jpg

ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster-er32-collet-rack-collets-installed.jpg

On each side of the rack I added ¾” thick wooden triangular-shaped parts to elevate the rack for a better view. These are elevated 7” which is about as high as needed without the collets falling out (I know because the collets fell-out when elevated to 8”). Each collet has its own unique size labelled-identification (these were made with 1/8” wide labels from a P-touch Labeler). Adding the labels makes it easier to find and return the correct collet sizes because over time the factory-etched labels on the front of the collet can wear-off due to use. There is plenty of room for storing more metric-sized collets.

ER32 Collet Rack Made From a Stainless Steel Pepper Roaster-er32-collet-rack-collet-diameter-labels.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 12, 2019 at 01:16 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Mar 12, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Mar 12, 2019), rossbotics (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Nice looking job Paul
    I retired 11 months ago myself and I'm reorganizing as you are, got a couple cabinets to build yet but I'm getting there.
    Great looking job

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks Doug,
    Lately, most of my HMT postings have been the easy ones about tool storage rather than any specialized tools like the ones you make. It is so nice to now go into the shop when things are better organized and cleaner. Now my big challenge is isolating the very dusty wood shop area from the clean machine shop. I am considering using some form of clear PVC or vinyl strip-curtains to isolate the wood shop dust from the machine shop but still have easy access.
    Regards,
    Paul

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Very nice Paul but we should warn our talented community to be careful. Anybody considering this rack should read my post #6 in the original post by Hardtail. Hardtail’s post was more than 3 years ago. I bought my rack 2.5 years after his posting and by that time the hole diameters had changed considerably! Check carefully because the current item may not work as Hardtail had intended. Also, a great idea by Frans S was contributed in that OP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 13, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Paul Jones! We've added your Collet Rack to our Racks category,
    as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Saltfever,

Thank you for the caution. I remember the discussion thread about the pepper rack hole diameters. I suspect the hole diameters have changed. I bought my stainless steel pepper rack about one week after Hardtail’s post but never built the ER32 rack until this week. The new rack dimensions from Home Depot probably have changed since 2016. The best approach is to bring an ER32 collet into the big box store and double check if the current pepper roaster hole dimensions will fit ER32 collet.

I like building my tool racks out of wood whenever possible (my preference is oak, mahogany, teak, or cherry) because the wood seems to protect the precision surfaces better than metal. Here are some old examples I published at HMT ( http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/w...4984#post19349 ). In the case of collet racks it is not necessary to create a special tapered hole. Just use two or three step hole diameters using Forstner bits to accommodate the collet tapers. Drill the largest top diameter first and then use the larger Forstner bit pilot hole to locate the next smaller diameter and work on down.

Thank you for the feedback.
    Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 15, 2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    . . . I bought my stainless steel pepper rack about one week after Hardtail’s post but never built the ER32 rack until this week. The new rack dimensions from Home Depot probably have changed since 2016.
    I suspected that was the case, and thus the reason for my advisory to others. Yes, the dimensions have changed and will not work as intended in the OP.
    THANKS for the link to your wooden holders. Very nice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 15, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Does anyone have the current dimensions? My thought is that the trays could do duty for a number of things by the use of bushings. You would only need to have holes large enough for say ER’s of various sizes, R8, Morse Taper and other what have yous. That could turn storage solutions into making simple bushings of various sizes. Instead of fabricating a bunch of panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I suspected that was the case, and thus the reason for my advisory to others. Yes, the dimensions have changed and will not work as intended in the OP.
    THANKS for the link to your wooden holders. Very nice.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    In January '18 the holes were 1.019” +/- .003” measured with a dial caliper. However, I would not trust that to be the current dimension more than 1 year later. It appears the manufacturer does not care too much about precise pepper diameters!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    In January '18 the holes were 1.019” +/- .003” measured with a dial caliper. However, I would not trust that to be the current dimension more than 1 year later. It appears the manufacturer does not care too much about precise pepper diameters!
    Thanks for the info. I will have to run down to the local hardware store to see if they have anything similar. If the spacing is good that would make for a real nice R8 collet holder.

Thread Information