Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EV Anvil (exhaust valve)

Thanks
    Thank you LMMasterMariner, A nice easy addition to the Shop . I have some Old Valves laying around . I will have at least one Exhaust Valve Anvil by the end of the day tomorrow. Nice Post
    Another example of an Anvil is the Wheel with the Crown on it on an English Wheel.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Bruce C did you notice that his valve has a 100 mm head that is close to 4 inches in diameter just checking not many of us have valves that size laying around

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Valves

Ah Ha ., I never got around to learning the Metric system and rely on the I Phone to convert important Things. Thanks for bringing that to my attn. I will still make a small one . But I'm sure if I look around I'll come across something larger , heck I went to a Hot Rod meet the other night and there were a set of Pistons on Pallets that were so big that each one used its own pallet . Rumor had it they were checked out by some one and were being shipped overseas to be reused. I heard maybe in a Cruise Ship. Thanks for the input ., B.
    Last edited by Bruce C; Jun 21, 2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Maybe I could be wrong but is a valve the right kinda metal to hammer on ,as an ex truck driver at one company I worked at one of the fitters a real likeable fellow lost an eye using a self made punch made from a valve from a truck .Not trying to cause any I'll formed talk like I asked is a valve suitable material just as for what reason I am not sure but when as a young,Un I was told not to strike two hammers together any thoughts or am I barking up the wrong tree . This by the way is a great website I learn so much at every visit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigron271 For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 22, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Probably not in the seance or trying to hammer out a knife blade or beat a plowshare tip to an edge but he says he has used it for many years so I doubt that any truly hard hammering has occurred.
    I once knew a guy who had an optic lens from a Navy vessel it was shaped almost perfectly hemispherical he made jewelry and used it as his anvil
    No one that I know who works with steel would ever consider using glass as an anvil but he used it to shape the gold wire frame broaches that he made
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 22, 2017)

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bigron271 View Post
    Maybe I could be wrong but is a valve the right kinda metal to hammer on ,as an ex truck driver at one company I worked at one of the fitters a real likeable fellow lost an eye using a self made punch made from a valve from a truck .Not trying to cause any I'll formed talk like I asked is a valve suitable material just as for what reason I am not sure but when as a young,Un I was told not to strike two hammers together any thoughts or am I barking up the wrong tree . This by the way is a great website I learn so much at every visit.
    Good point!!! and thanks.
    I did some light hammering on that anvil and my biggest hammer is just 1 kilogram. I used so many fuel injector nozzle needles as center punches and they are brittle. Many of them parted at hammer striking point. And yes, broken pieces are flying very fast. But safety first. Safety googles must be used all the time in the workshop, especially if you are not the only one working there. Also have one chisel made from valve spindle, but striking part of that chisel was annealed. Done on board by fitter. I don't believe that this size valve can be broken with 1 kg hammer but I will definitely anneal it, just to be on safe side. Thanks again.
    Regards
    LMMasterMariner
    Last edited by LMMasterMariner; Jun 22, 2017 at 06:26 AM.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,837 Times in 11,335 Posts
    Congratulations LMMasterMariner - your Exhaust Valve Anvil is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is one of the simplest tool builds we've ever seen: drill hole, insert valve. This trick won't really work with common smaller engine valves, and even for a larger valve, its low mass will limit its effectiveness as an anvil.

Nevertheless, this is a very clever idea, and apparently a very rare one. It's trendy now to incorporate large engine parts into decor, but examples of using such components as useful tools is difficult to locate.

Some other nice picks from this week: a Tailstock Lever Modification by olderdan, a popular Railroad Track Anvil by Carlos B, a Vise by Tuomas, a Lathe Truing Tool by Canobi, a Small Tractor Crane by Barefootbilly, a Tailstock Center by jjr2001, a Arduino Diagnostic tool by rgsparber, and a Workbench and Tool Chest by markfitz.

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly, this is your...

Third Homemade Tool of the Week win!

You're in good company with these 15 other winners of the 3-Time Tool of the Week award: rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale (all award winners are listed here).

We've added the bronze wrench-on-pedestal award to your postbit beneath your avatar:

Congrats again and nice job!

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 24, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Well done. And really great idea!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congrats !!

, And I second Wearing Safety Glasses when swinging a Hammer in the or out of Shop.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce C For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Jon,
    I really didn't expect to win a tool of the week award with this tool which I 'made' but I am very happy with your choice and I am also very happy to be in the same company with these very special people ( rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale ).
    Thanks again / Best regards
    LMMasterMariner

Thread Information