Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extended Point Live Center

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Extended Point Live Center

I have found from time to time that the need for a extended point live center would sure be nice, the longer nose gives you a little extra tool bit clearance, especially for those smaller diameter shafts that require machining on their ends, but to overcome that I would just grind some of the tool bits corner off to clear the point of the live center, some people use carbide inserts with the correct angle to overcome that problem,
    I prefer Cobalt H.S.S. bits and I don’t liked to grind the corners off !

The body has a # 3 Morse Taper Shank; the center rotates in two 5203ZZ double row angular contact bearings,
    The body and center point were constructed from 4140 Pre Heat Treated Steel which has a RC hardness of 27-32 which will be quiet sufficient,
    Start by machining the Morse Tapered end on the work piece, set the compound slide to approximately 1 ˝ °, then chuck up something with a #3 Morse Taper Shank then indicate in the O.D. where it is running true, check both ends for trueness, mount a dial indicator onto the compound slide and indicate the compound in with the taper shank, chuck up your stock and turn down a straight section 3.313” long and .960” in diameter, using the compound cut the taper onto your work piece, or you may have a taper attachment, the small end of the taper should measure .778” and large end .938”, great care should be taken when machining tapers, machining this taper to the measurements I have described and expect it to fit perfectly will not happen, this is just a starting point, when you get the small end turned down to about .790” you need to start checking the fit with something that has a # 3 internal Morse Taper, (this will be your gage), the two tapers should fit perfectly together with no wiggle in the front or back, take several small cuts and adjust the compound as needed to achieve this fit, you should apply high spot bluing to your tapered piece and slip the gage over it and rotate it, this will show the high spots that need some attention, I just use a fat magic marker, your gage should slide all the way up within an 1/8” from the big end of the taper, make sure it doesn’t bottom out in the gage, if the gage bottoms out you can always machine some off the small end the work piece, if you machine some off the small end of work piece chances are great you will have to machine the taper further back on the big end as well, leave a couple thousands on the O.D. to polish for a nice smooth finish and that final fit, the key factor here is taking your time.

Once the taper was completed I removed the chuck from the lathe and inserted the Morse Taper reducing sleeve that came with my machine into the spindle bore, I inserted the Morse Taper I just machined into the reducing sleeve and gave it a tap with a plastic hammer to seat it firmly, I then proceeded to machine the bearing measurements into the body of the center, See Photos

The machining of the center point was done in a one step process, meaning it was machined all at one time without turning the part around insuring 100% concentricity, I started by chucking up a piece of 1” 4140 round 7” long leaving 3 ˝” protruding past the end of the chuck jaws, after setting the compound to 30° I machined the center point and confirmed the angle with a 60° thread grinding gage, then the 16° secondary angle was machined, I ground up a turning tool similar to a parting tool only it had about a 30°angle on front, this allowed me to plunge into the work piece and feed to the right up to a shoulder to complete the machining of the bearing journal, .003” was left on this diameter for polishing and a press fit for the bearings.

I have supplied multiple photos, drawings, two sheets containing Morse Taper dimensions and this documentation for anyone wishing to make this tool; although this is how I made the tool, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the only way.

As always
    Thanks for looking
    And happy machining
    Doug

Extended Point Live Center-1.jpg

Roughing in the shank

Extended Point Live Center-2.jpg

Finished shank

Extended Point Live Center-3.jpg

Shank reversed and ready for boring

Extended Point Live Center-4.jpg

Bored for the bearings

Extended Point Live Center-5.jpg

Center made and being parted off

Extended Point Live Center-6.jpg

All parts finished

Extended Point Live Center-7.jpg

Partially assembled

Extended Point Live Center-9.jpg

Assembled live center

Extended Point Live Center-10.jpg

Front view

Extended Point Live Center-body.jpg

Drawing of the body

Extended Point Live Center-centert-point.jpg

Drawing of the center

Extended Point Live Center-11.jpg

Morse Taper dimensions

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 20, 2018), bobs409 (May 22, 2017), Canobi (Feb 15, 2018), Home-PC (Nov 29, 2022), jjr2001 (May 22, 2017), kboy0076 (Dec 1, 2022), Kevic (Jun 15, 2018), Metallurg33 (Feb 16, 2018), olderdan (May 22, 2017), Paul Jones (May 22, 2017), PJs (Jun 14, 2018), Seedtick (May 22, 2017), Stevohdee (Jun 14, 2018), Terer (Sep 12, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I agree, could be useful some times.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    These extended centers are great and you made a typically nice job of yours.
    We used to use these at work and I bought a new Gepy No 3 in anticipation of also buying a Bantam lathe but the receivers got it first.
    I cant use it so its going on Ebay if anyone wants to look out for it.
    Extended Point Live Center-gepy.png
    Regards
    Olderdan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 22, 2017), PJs (Jun 14, 2018)

Thanks

DanLins's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    These extended centers are great and you made a typically nice job of yours.
    We used to use these at work and I bought a new Gepy No 3 in anticipation of also buying a Bantam lathe but the receivers got it first.
    I cant use it so its going on Ebay if anyone wants to look out for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gepy.PNG 
Views:	449 
Size:	816.1 KB 
ID:	18034
    Regards
    Olderdan
    Looking !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Doug,

Thank you for posting your excellent photos and instructions. The 4140 pre heat treated steel is great material and as always your precise machining shows in your live center.

Regards,

Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 14, 2018)

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Thank You Paul
    Doug

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 17, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Extended Point Live Center to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

petertha's Tools
    The body and center point were constructed from 4140 Pre Heat Treated Steel which has a RC hardness of 27-32 which will be quiet sufficient...

Very Nice!

Is pre heat treated the same as annealed?
    4140 - Cf Annealed Round Rod - Online Metal Store

And I'm assuming you did not heat treat the tip, the 4140 was left as-is?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

petertha's Tools
    Some more questions if you don't mind.

Can you comment on fits & ultimately how things are secured? For example, do you fix the center point to the 2 bearing ID's with a retaining compound & maybe insert the whole rotating assembly into the body cup pre-warmed up or something so it resides in place with a bit of interference?

Would you consider this a use-it-till its worn type tool or could it be disassembled? (Its the reverse of above ^^ that got me wondering about this to begin with).

Sorry I am kind of naive about these 5203ZZ double row angular contact bearings. Does that mean each bearing unit has 2 internal rows & stacking two units together just gives you that much more thrust rating or stability on the center shaft? Is there a left/right orientation to these bearings or they are equal so you can just install them as a stack like you show?

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Hi Petertha
    Pre Heat Treated is not the same as annealed, pre hard comes pre-hardened to a 27-32 Rc, you can get it in the hot rolled form, cold rolled form or turned ground and polished, after I machined the center point I then oil hardened just the first 3/8" of the point and gave her a polish

I get all my metals from Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply

Thanks Doug
    Last edited by rossbotics; Feb 18, 2018 at 06:50 AM.
    Doug

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 14, 2018)

Thread Information