Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ferrofluid GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Ferrofluid GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021), PJs (Dec 1, 2016), richardcrane (Dec 4, 2016), that_other_guy (Oct 2, 2021)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice Jon, Thanks.

I ran across this one with superconductors and ferrofluids...not a Gif though but only 32seconds. Very interesting effects, no spiking. There is a property of the superconductors in proximity to fluid spikes on a magnet that the spikes will form a rotational mass, basically a motor.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ferrofluid clock:

Available from Ferrolic.com. To be fair: this stuff does look cool, and it could make a neat science project for kids. And perhaps there is some legitimate niche application for ferrofluids.

However - it looks like we are approaching maximum ferrofluid pseudoscience gimmickiness. Check out this gem of a description. Not only do you get some popular scientific terms enclosed in double quotes, but he's also named the blobs (Ferrolics!) and imbued them with human-like characteristics. Surprise, surprise, those characteristics don't include skills like critical thinking, but instead - the ability to tell a story!

Ferrolic does not produce light and is 100% silent since it does not contain mechanically moving elements. Its unique dynamics are the visual result of the black fluid continiously finding balance between “gravity”, “magnetic fields” and its own “van de Waals” forces.

Ferrolic’s intrinsic qualities allow it to be used for specific display purposes like time and text representations that emerge in a very lively fashion. The lively blobs (Ferrolics) are even able to tell a story themselves.
    More: http://isea2015.org/proceeding/submi...ission_246.pdf

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Ferrofluid clock:

Available from Ferrolic.com. To be fair: this stuff does look cool, and it could make a neat science project for kids. And perhaps there is some legitimate niche application for ferrofluids.

However - it looks like we are approaching maximum ferrofluid pseudoscience gimmickiness. Check out this gem of a description. Not only do you get some popular scientific terms enclosed in double quotes, but he's also named the blobs (Ferrolics!) and imbued them with human-like characteristics. Surprise, surprise, those characteristics don't include skills like critical thinking, but instead - the ability to tell a story!

More: http://isea2015.org/proceeding/submi...ission_246.pdf
    Definitely an "Interesting" read and you are right about the flowery pseudoscience verbiage with double quotes to invoke mystery and learning, but that is his intent as near as I could tell plus maybe a little difference in language. It does have a fascinating artfulness to it, like watching the flames of a fire...there is a beauty to the forms reminiscent of sacred geometry, yet dynamic and draws out the imagination like cloud forms. Sachiko Kodama ferrofluid art exhibit is Interactive and he even tied it to sound and voice similar to Hans Jenny's Cymatics which evolved from Robert Hook (1680's) and Chaldini's (1800's) work. (I did a paper and several talks for IONS back when) Perhaps these science/art forms will also evolve.

I've been a card carrying member of the Cloud Appreciation Society since 09', mainly because I treasure of the shapes and the invoked imagination but also because of the science behind them. It's interesting that this man and group pursue that imagination through technology based on Janet Murray's principals of Digital Media. I've always thought there should be a more fluid dynamic (pun intended) between science and art through simplicity or Simple Elegance in terms of design and appearance.

As for his build, I can see that this took some pretty serious engineering to get the proper carrier for the fluid, sealing the container as well as engineering the specific flux with the electromagnets and associated software/electronics for the manipulation (the blob kiss is a good example). My interest in Ferrofluid is primarily scientific based on an undisclosed brain fart I had a few years ago of how it might be used in perhaps a spectacular and useful manor...and perhaps today gave me an idea of how to pump the fluid without pulsations...

Thanks for the post and lighting a candle again, Jon.

PJ
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ferrofluid on a screw.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021), PJs (Jan 10, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 9, 2019), Sleykin (Jan 9, 2019)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Vintage ferrofluid.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021), PJs (Jan 13, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 14, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Cute Jon! Just add oil and there ya go.
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    my introduction to ( very expensive ) ferrofluid was through the labyrinth seal of a large disk drive to allow the spindle to rotate but keep particulate matter from entering the chamber. It sat between a magnetic ring sandwiched between two steel washer like rings and the rotating spindle. pressure in the chamber could equalize with the outside world but contaminants could not enter.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to phred For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 15, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    my introduction to ( very expensive ) ferrofluid was through the labyrinth seal of a large disk drive to allow the spindle to rotate but keep particulate matter from entering the chamber. It sat between a magnetic ring sandwiched between two steel washer like rings and the rotating spindle. pressure in the chamber could equalize with the outside world but contaminants could not enter.
    It is expensive for the good stuff because of the particulate size/purity and the expensive processing of the colloids for viscosity and transport. The most promising advances for it's use in the last decade or so is in biomedical use. It's used in MRI and being tested for isolating cancer cells in the body...https://ferrofluid.ferrotec.com/applications/

Dynamic bearings and seals (Hi-speed HD's) was one of the first commercial applications. It's used in all kinds of applications now from automotive to sensors to doping LCD's and the prices are coming down because of the commercial uses. The cool thing to me about them is between the myriad of makeup's of the particulate and almost unlimited make up of the colloid the applications really become unlimited. Another that fascinates me is the Thermodiffusion in magnetic fluids, because..."there is a concentration current of magnetic particles parallel to the direction of the thermal gradient." That is; it is similar to the "Skin Effect" in UHF electronics.

I've been keeping my ear to the ground on this and OLED technologies for at least a decade now. Most of it is in everyday life now in some form or another. For those that enjoy a rabbit hole as I do, here is a list of Scholarly articles on its uses since 2018.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?a...t=0,5&as_vis=1

It also makes fascinating and pretty pictures.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My intro to something very similar to ferrofluid was via a prosthetic microprocessor knee from Ossur called the Rheo. It uses magnetorheological fluid in a swiveling arrangement (as a knee). It uses electromagnetism, along with the microprocessor to tailor movement resistance similar to muscle movement resistance. RheoKnee has very nice action, and my only issue with it is that it tended to default to freeswing rather than stiff if the battery went dead. But that's a personal comfort level, and there are many above-knee amputees out there successfully walking very well with it. I sent mine to a fellow biker in the Midwest who does construction because his insurance wouldn't pay for one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KickStart For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 15, 2019)

Thread Information