Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Finishing drying rack

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Powless Design's Tools

Finishing drying rack

The last time I spray lacquered a project I had to stop mid-stream because I ran out of space to place the pieces. The table of every tool, my 3 benches and even parts of the floor were occupied. I needed a place to put sprayed / stained pieces while they dried but both a permant or rolling rack was out of the question dues to space limitations. So like most small shops the only way to go was up.

This fold-down spraying rack provides 24 slots (3" apart) for drawer fronts or doors and the dowels can be removed at random to create larger spots for drawers or other pieces. Of course it will not hold larger pieces like cabinets or facings but is frees up enough room to reserve the other parts of my shop for those.

The rack is hinged off the ceiling (10' clear height) with gate hinges and attached to a pulley, and boat winch to lift it into place. Instead of using the hand crank that comes with the winch I attache the drill and windw it up quickly. To lower it I merely unlock the gear and the double pulley allows it to swing down slowly on its own.

Finishing drying rack-img_0958.jpgFinishing drying rack-img_0959.jpgFinishing drying rack-img_0956.jpgFinishing drying rack-img_0955.jpgFinishing drying rack-img_0954.jpgFinishing drying rack-img_0961.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Powless Design For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jan 2, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Powless Design! I've added your Drying Rack to our Storage and Organization category, as well as to your builder page: Powless Design's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    That a nice idea for a drying rack, Powless Design. Thanks for sharing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Powless Design's Tools
    I was milling up some material for a couple of cabinet doors and encountered the same issue - where to put the stickered milled wood overnight before milling to final thickness. The drying rack provided a great place to layer the material. Multi-useful.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information