Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fixing a Brand New Coffee Pot Lid...

Thanks

astroracer's Tools

Fixing a Brand New Coffee Pot Lid...

Had to buy a new coffee maker about a month ago, the old one was toast.
    Anyway, my wife was putting the lid back on the pot (it snaps on with a couple of molded pins) when one of the pins broke off... Nice. I looked online for a replacement and they have them (only a couple of bucks) but why buy another one when a new one will do the same thing in a short time?

Took the lid out to the shop this morning and did some measuring and made a couple of sketches. I'll be replacing the plastic pins with a turned aluminum piece and a support sleeve inside the handle.

The support sleeve is made from a piece of 3/16 O.D. aluminum tubing cut to length.
    Laying out the measurements before turning the new piece on the lathe. This is a piece of .125 diameter aluminum rod that slip fits inside the sleeve.

Drilling the handle for the new pins. I popped the other pin off with a razor knife and drilled the first holes with a 1/16th dia. drill. Using the old pin locations as guides I carefully drilled these first holes to ensure the new pins would be on center.

Continued in next post...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Initial drilled hole. You can also see the new pins and sleeve in the foreground.

After these were done I redrilled with a .125 drill for the new pins to slip into.

I assembled the new pins with the sleeve inside the handle and put a bit of superglue at both ends. This will lock the sleeve to the mandrel and the joint won't move at all.

I just snapped the lid onto the pot a little bit ago and it worked perfect!
    Thanks for looking.
    Mark

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Solo (Jan 14, 2016)

Thread Information