Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flexible sledgehammer - GIF and videos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,837 Times in 11,335 Posts

Flexible sledgehammer - GIF and videos

Flexible sledgehammer. I'm not sure what to think of this.

More. 13-second video:

It still doesn't beat the awesome team sledgehammer internet classic, now appropriately retitled "Hammertime". 42-second video:

Is there a legitimate advantage to a flexible hammer? Does that advantage only apply to a large swing? Is it acting like a wrecking ball? What about just a little flexibility; is that helpful? Could you argue that, in the Hammertime video, the workers' bodies are essentially acting like a flexing handle?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

gunsgt1863 (Jun 16, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    You often see workers swing in rotation when driving tent stakes in the ground for a carnival.
    But those rubber handles don't look like the user has much control, while they all seemed to be able to hit their marks driving the cars in the wall the hammer strikes looked like orientation was closer to being the sides of their hammers

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Rotation hammering was common in smithing. Blacksmith Alec Steele has videos of the classes that he conducts. One of the purposes is to teach students timing and rhythm. An experienced group can get into such a groove that the hits are consistently timed.
    At 2:30 there's an overhead shot of a great 4-man rhythm.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

gunsgt1863 (Jun 16, 2018), Jon (Jun 13, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Most of those guys might as well cut off half of their hammer handles since they don't seem to know how to use the effective kinetic energy of swinging a full length hammer.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Most of those guys might as well cut off half of their hammer handles since they don't seem to know how to use the effective kinetic energy of swinging a full length hammer.
    I believe that they're choked up on the hammers intentionally. I've seen old films of blacksmith gangs using the same posture. Strike consistency and aim are more important than striking power. They are strong enough to impart enough energy on the hammer to to upset the flatter that they're making in the small increments it needs. Mashing it more quickly can cause a tear or split in the steel.
    The tent guys are beating on the spike like it owes them money because need to force the thing where it doesn't want to go, while the blacksmiths are merely trying to coax the ingot into a shape that it never knew it wanted to be in.

Neil

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jun 13, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Jun 16, 2018), HobieDave (Aug 31, 2021), PJs (Jun 13, 2018), saintrain (Dec 8, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Its not so much the power but rather the conservation of energy especially when smithing if you learn to control a hammer by having you hands all the way out at the pommel you soon learn that you can do more with less and do it for longer periods of time without increasing the wear and tear on your body. learning that you have 2 hands and either can be the lead hand also helps.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Sorry Frank but I beg to differ. Watch any good blacksmith and you will see them choking up on the hammer, especially when they are swinging a good size hammer 1 handed. And it is standard practice for a blacksmith when swinging a big hammer 2 handed. Its all about precision. They rely on the hammer mass to deliver the blow; and a choked, and fixed 2 handed grip to make the hammer land where they want that blow to be.

Phil

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12bolts For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jun 13, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Jun 16, 2018), PJs (Jun 13, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Phil I guess this is one of those arguments where it all depends on the demographics of where and when a person saw or learned their trades and who the apprenticed under. the old man I worked for in my teenage years always stressed to hold the reigns of the tongs at 18 to 24 " grip the hammer usually 3 1/2 pounds as near to the end as comfortable his hammers always had a larger end than the rest of the handle. you only did the tap dance on the anvil when needing to preposition your grip If you were making decoration art or knives then once the metal was mostly moved to where you wanted it you grabbed a hammer with a shorter handle He always said that you wanted to keep your wrist as far away from the impact shock as possible. the only time you griped the middle of the handle was when you were using only the rotating motion of your wrist in a rata- tap tap rocking motion to polish out any of the heavier hammer marks or for thin metals that way the handle served as a counter balance to assist in rebound.
    baby sledges 5 to 8 lb as he called them only needed a 24" handle but the 8lb was just at the point of being large enough for a 36" handle
    swinging a real sledge 12 to 20 lbs meant you slip gripped your forward hand just like swinging an ax.
    That's how I've done it for getting close to 55 yeas now and still don't have any wrist or arm problems

Supporting Member
    Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada, Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    I believe that they're choked up on the hammers intentionally. I've seen old films of blacksmith gangs using the same posture. Strike consistency and aim are more important than striking power. They are strong enough to impart enough energy on the hammer to to upset the flatter that they're making in the small increments it needs. Mashing it more quickly can cause a tear or split in the steel.
    The tent guys are beating on the spike like it owes them money because need to force the thing where it doesn't want to go, while the blacksmiths are merely trying to coax the ingot into a shape that it never knew it wanted to be in.

Neil
    Hi Neil,

There's a certain eloquence to hearing a person reply with reflection, kind words, and a certain amount of knowledge. This amazing and wonderful site gives us all the opportunity to be good neighbours, friends, fellow tool-a-holics. Every day we see new posts that those same folks post to this amazing site. They share stuff that they are proud of, ideas they had and worked hard at to complete. Then they wanted to share that with US. Sharing their talents with their neighbors, with all of us here on this super duper, mega grouper site. Hehee

when folks like neil and 12bolts-Phil give comments that are kind and constructive, I for one am pleased to see that there are folks out there still, that are willing to give of themselves in a kind and neighbourly way. The comments folks give are as important as the post and could help to improve an idea, make a project safer, maybe even promote or seed other ideas. The positive feedback, kindness will encourage folks to contribute more things that they are proud of and want to share. So, there would be the importance to having great neighbours such as Neil and Phil sharing their thoughts with us, to promote and nourish that good neighbour kindness that a fantastic site such as this deserves.

Thanks again fellas for your positive feedback, makes me proud to be a fellow member on this site.

Ray R.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captn Roy For This Useful Post:

brianpoundingnails (Jun 13, 2018), PJs (Jun 13, 2018), sossol (Jun 13, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 14, 2018), volodar (Dec 16, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thank You Captn Roy, (Ray) Well said and heartily agree. Still, I sometimes get my knickers twisted at times, but will think more before I speak, based on what you said!

As for rubber handles sledges; It's seems to me that any new tool takes some getting used to and would guess the delivered blow force would be multiplied at some level once accuracy was achieved. What worried me watching the wind up swing, reminded me the first time I used nun-chucks, about knocked myself silly for about a week with knots and bruises. A 15-20lb sledge would definitely leave a mark if not knock you into next week...but I guess you'd learn quick.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jun 13, 2018)

Thread Information