Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flexible sledgehammer - GIF and videos

Supporting Member
    Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada, Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Thank You Captn Roy, (Ray) Well said and heartily agree. Still, I sometimes get my knickers twisted at times, but will think more before I speak, based on what you said!

As for rubber handles sledges; It's seems to me that any new tool takes some getting used to and would guess the delivered blow force would be multiplied at some level once accuracy was achieved. What worried me watching the wind up swing, reminded me the first time I used nun-chucks, about knocked myself silly for about a week with knots and bruises. A 15-20lb sledge would definitely leave a mark if not knock you into next week...but I guess you'd learn quick.

PJ
    Hey PJ,

Ahh, an honest answer from an honest man! I'll bet PJ that a great percentage of the folks on this site would be understanding and have no problem with someone that has a fire in his belly an coals on his tongue. I for one think that this ol' world needs a little shaking up at times. Your amazing quote by Mark Twain at the bottom of your turf says volumes. We strive to attain only to at times realize we must disagree or shake things up as they say. I'm sure you understand what I meant. Someone who is 90% kind and neighbourly has earned the right to step-up and be a man, so to speak.

Some things are just unbearable to see or endure and tend to wake the beast within. I fully understand cause I also have a bit of a temper that sneaks out at times and don't regret it for one second after. hehee, Your an honest man PJ and that's all that matters.

Ray.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captn Roy For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 14, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    More of these floppy hammers in action.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Dec 3, 2018), MeJasonT (Dec 9, 2018), Moby Duck (Dec 4, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    It's interesting to see the difference in efficiency between swinging overhead and recovery with the saw blade vs the round house style and recovery of the lower level striking blows. The guy with the saw blade struggles to recover more, but it could be his technique. Perhaps if he used a ferris wheel swing allowing it to carry itself around while readjusting his grip would reduce his low back and shoulder stress. I remember learning much of that way of efficiency thinking doing Kata's with a Katana and staff...inertia is a powerful force...let it work for you...bend like the bamboo in the wind, grasshopper.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Dec 3, 2018), MeJasonT (Dec 4, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I wonder if it is just what material they have or if there is an actual advantage. Our normal wood handles have a bit of flex to absorb shock and dampen vibrations. A handle which is too stiff can jar your hands when the head impacts the work. Other than the guy hitting the wrench on the saw blade I see everybody using the same change of hand position most steel drivers use so there is unlikely to be much difference in the ergonomics, though I do think it would take a bit of getting used to swinging such a flexible hammer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cmarlow For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 4, 2018)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    All i can say is, I wont be the one holding the item on the other end. I'm not letting anyone with an elastic sledge hammer loose anywhere near me.

When in comes to controlling temper, after years of being kicked my new mellow approach is to constantly be in a state of readiness. I have a full blown temper just waiting for the right person or idiot to come along. This nanny state and political correctness thing is really getting my goat. I have noticed nobody gives two hoots when it comes to firing criticism in my direction. I can be sensitive. (he says looking for direction like an actor).

Rubber handled sledge hammer, hell, i'm having a fight with this bloody cheap and nasty fibreglass handled thing.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Dec 4, 2018 at 06:07 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Lee Bell (Dec 8, 2018), NortonDommi (Dec 4, 2018), PJs (Dec 4, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    What are the handles made of?

Ralph

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    ???

Is the rail pre-scored or something like that? Coincidental perfect strike?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 13, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 13, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good swinging technique and a great strike...Bit fake to me as the cut is perfect and the bottom of the joint is almost touching the ground, no real shear gap. I also doubt if a score would allow that and can't see anything but rusty track. It might be a weld seam at that point but if it was thermite welded...no way, imho.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Gee you think it is a fake?

Ralph

Thanks
    ivsee faint difference in shading right at the break. I think he broke a surface weld.

Thread Information