Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Foot operated stand for shrinker/stretcher

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Great tips akrotodd. Are your shrinker/ stretcher HF or ? brand.

In digging around TM Technology's site the originals are made by Lancaster. They also sell special modified jaws for them that the surface is akin to 180 grit sandpaper instead of serrated like all other jaws. Lancasters double what Eastwood's and around triple what HF's are. Would love to know if the Lncaster jaws would fit in either the Eastwood or HF's.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    one body was from a great company I don't remember (like Mittler Bros, but not them.) Maybe USATCO? Had shrinker and stretcher jaws.

the stand and the other body, which I use rarely for stretching, is from HF.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by akrotodd View Post
    one body was from a great company I don't remember (like Mittler Bros, but not them.) Maybe USATCO? Had shrinker and stretcher jaws.

the stand and the other body, which I use rarely for stretching, is from HF.
    If it was like Mittler Bros and not the discount guys it sounds like it's a Lancaster. And they typically come with one body, shrink and stretch jaws. And the stretch jaw works in the HF? That's good news because you can get jaws from TM Technologies: Tools, Sheet Metal Shaping Machines, & Gas Welding Supplies for Better Metalworking
    for I think $88ea.

Thanks

Eljorger's Tools
    Hello Bob,
    sorry about the delay, but here are the basic dimensions. after having used it a few times, there are some things I would change and may do so later on. such as the distance between the two bodies. when creating an inside radius the material will eventually run into the the other body. But the stand does work pretty well as is.
    Legs: 2 ea. @ 20"(1x2x1/8)
    Center section of legs 1 ea. @ 11" (1x2x1/8).
    Center upright (made for my height, so may change to suit you) 33" (2x2x3/16) 1 ea.
    pedal shafts 2 ea. @ 20" (1x1x1/8) pivot hole @ 1" used 3/8 hole and tab is welded at 6".
    Pedal "pad" 3x4x3/16.
    Pedal cross section: 2 ea. @ 10"(1x2x1/8) pivot hole @1" (3/8 hole), attached to center upright 4" up from base.
    two 16" springs.
    used 3/4" threaded rod that I had laying around the garage, but may have been over kill, you just need threads at the end of the rod for adjustments.
    5/8" round stock for attaching to bodies (you can use the the handles provided with the shrinker/stclevisiretcher set) and used 16 1"x2" mounting tabs for the cleviss.

hope this helps, have fun.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to build one soon.

Bob L.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good posts from everyone! I've been buying hand tools from them before they were on the interwebs. They seem to be good value. Sort of prosumer level. I've usually had good luck with Snap Off's stuff but get a stinker once in a while. The thing I'm saving up for is Eastwood's Model 250 MiG welder. 60% duty rating for $800 clams? I'm not sure if anyone can beat that.

Thanks
    Those sound like great additions.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information