Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Foredom handpiece hanger

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Foredom handpiece hanger

In a previous post...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/f...h-hanger-49170

I described the support stand I made for my Foredom out of a gas pipe bar clamp. A recent close call convinced me that it needs a safe, secure place to hang the handpiece when not in use.

I gedanken-engineered a whole bunch of complex attachments I could build to attach to the gas pipe and serve as a means of mounting a handpiece hanger. Then I remembered that, when I found the grounding clamps that I used to make a lathe dog...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/one-liners-27189

I was smart enough, seeing their potential utility, to buy two. Remarkably, I knew exactly where the second one was stored and it proved to fit perfectly on the (nominal) one inch gas pipe.

I turned down a piece of 3/8" allthread to fit the hole in the clamp where the ground wire would go. A piece of the brown stuff (ugh) in the form of 3/4" plywood was drilled to fit the allthread and then Forstner bits were used to create a stepped hole to accept the Foredom handpiece. A slot was made to allow the flexible shaft to pass when hanging the handpiece.

When everything is in place, the resulting hanger looks like this...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foredom handpiece hanger-hanger-1.jpg   Foredom handpiece hanger-hanger-2.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Oct 16, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 18, 2017), philipUsesWood&Brass (Aug 14, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 16, 2017)

Thanks
    Marv
    Very nice fix, looks professional.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thank you for sharing your intuitive ideas. I would like a picture that shows what you've done in total. The picture looks like the pipe hanger hangs from a,,,,pipe and it appears the base unit and RPM adjuster are also hanging from the same. It all makes sense but I would like to see your solution, Cheers, Bill Hanson

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    In a previous post...

A piece of the brown stuff (ugh) in the form of 3/4" plywood was drilled to fit the allthread and then Forstner bits were used to create a stepped hole to accept the Foredom handpiece. A slot was made to allow the flexible shaft to pass when hanging the handpiece.
    Not dead cellulose carcass I thought that stuff was only for prototyping!
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Foredom Handpiece Hanger to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hanson View Post
    Thank you for sharing your intuitive ideas. I would like a picture that shows what you've done in total. The picture looks like the pipe hanger hangs from a,,,,pipe and it appears the base unit and RPM adjuster are also hanging from the same. It all makes sense but I would like to see your solution, Cheers, Bill Hanson
    Did you take a look at the article referenced in the second line of my post? It describes the hanger construction in detail.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Al8236 View Post
    Not dead cellulose carcass I thought that stuff was only for prototyping!
    I have huge respect for the folks who can make beautiful, useful, artistic things from wood. While I admire their talents immensely, I have no wish to try to develop skills to match theirs with the medium.

To me it's grainy, soft stuff that cracks and splinters and fills the air with dust. Metals are far more pleasant to work and look, to my eye, sensual and elegant.

That said, I don't hesitate to use wood where its size, resilience and cost suggest it. For me, this is almost always construction rather than artistic applications.

Nevertheless, when younger I did dabble with attempts at carving the evil stuff...

Foredom handpiece hanger-marshbird.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information