Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The forgotten and under rated tools

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

The forgotten and under rated tools

I named this thread the forgotten and under rated tools as a reminder that we often use tools we don't even think about.
    Several years ago I was rummaging through stacks of old spiral bound note books where I had doddled some of my designs and builds over time.
    in one of my note books I found where I had completely laid out the design for an enclosed cab and EROPS to fit an older cat loader that Cat had never made a EROPS for. In another I found almost the complete hand sketched drawings for a 120 ft tall drill rig derrick that I made for a 10,000 ft oil rig I found my sketches for the designs of an annular Blow out preventer I had reverse engineered from pictures of factory made BOP's
    Thinking that someday I might want to share these or maybe I might even need to make some of those things again I scanned the pages into my computer because I figured that would be a better way of retaining those cherished old sketches and drawings than just in the note books.
    Well the note books are long gone now but tonight while searching for something totally unrelated I came across the folder.
    Into my own personal rabbit hole I gleefully traveled And what should I find but the sketches of the ARMS of Destruction that I mentioned in another thread.
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0117.jpgmm.jpg
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0118.jpgmm.jpg
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0119.jpgmm.jpg
    the loader cab
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0081.jpgmm.jpg
    the Blow out preventer
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0089.jpgmm.jpg
    "A"legs for the derrick
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0028.jpgmm.jpg
    A 5 ton come a long with epecyclic gearing
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0054.jpgmm.jpg
    These were from the late 70's to early 80's I haven't gone through the whole folder yet but I found my design for a 1000 HP twin drum winch (draw-works for a drill rig)
    Most things I designed and made I usually just made a few sketches to lock down my idea then built them or had workers help build them there was no need for a complete set of prints for many of the things except for things like the oil derrick since I had to get that singed off and certified
    I just thought I would share a few of the things
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0117.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 28, 2018), Jon (Dec 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Among these was a Sail boat hull cleaning system I proposed to the FT. Worth Boat club.
    It consisted of a pair of flexible shafts with nylon bristles the shafts were hollow and foam filled to give partial buoyancy. each was powered by a small gasoline engine and a belt reduction system. mounted in a frame on pontoons it could be towed through the harbor then moored to the ends of a couple of boat slips then a sail boat merely passed through the rotating brushes. After building it we discovered it cleaned the removable dagger board Keeled boats well enough but the larger boats with fixed keels were more trouble to clean with the machine than the results were worth. but the addition of several high pressure spray wands to assist in loosening the hull fouling algae helped immensely the problem was though in containment and removal of the algae from the water. submersible panels had to be made and a pump system to pump out the algae filter the water and return it to the lake proved the whole set up more expensive to maintain and meet water purity levels than could be economically justified so the thing was scrapped after only 1 season of use
    Here are a couple of the sketches I found in my note books another completely forgotten tool since I don't have any pictures anymore of many of these things
    The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0106.jpgsbb.jpg

The forgotten and under rated tools-scan0107.jpgsbb.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information