Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Forklift driver collapses entire warehouse of racks - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I wonder if is was an Amazon warehouse? I don't know how most feel about Amazon but I don't use them.
    Hard to say from the video, I’m certain somebody know of the origin. However this video wouldn’t stop anybody from buying from Amazon!

The video is really damning for the engineering firm that designed the rack system. It is one thing to collapse one set of racks, it is absolutely shocking that the parallel racks came down so easily. So one of two things here, either poor engineering or grossly overloaded racks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Appears to be in Israel. Watch: Entire warehouse collapses in domino effect - Israel National News

Looks like some kind of liquid spraying out of a lot of the boxes.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 30, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Well if he survived, maybe. However in this case we can hardly blame the driver as the fork lift was barely moving. It makes me wonder if the support legs where even bolted down. It looks like he was trying to creep by the blocking palet and as such the racking should not of failed even from accidental contact.

Personally this looks like an example of engineering that solved the simple structural problem but never addressed the realities of the work place. Crap happens and your designs need to anticipate those accidents.
    You are correct this is a prime example of why it is recommended by most reputable pallet racking system suppliers that tall systems are installed with lateral bracing is used to tie the rows together at each set of columns with diagonal braces as well. There are also impact protectors available which sleeve over the bases of the columns.
    It is generally not a good idea to tie the rows of racking to the building in any way due to buildings not being designed for it.
    Also in the case of long rows Hero column leg frames should be installed at regular intervals. A well designed and installed racking system should be able to withstand the destruction of a single column or a racking beam being ripped form its mountings without the loss or damage to any part of the remaining system.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jan 26, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Serious consequences but I have to admit I laughed, to see the racks continuing to collapse even the ones two rows over was really funny.

Ralph

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    This is truly an epic fail with tragic consequences. In the YT video you can frame step (period forward or comma back) from about :31 on and see what actually happened. The forklift driver hit the first shelf with the top of his cage causing the containers to tip out toward him and begin the collapse. He is a foot or two away from the vertical stanchion when he hits the shelf. Typically pallet rack this tall require cross beams and shelf slats on the bottom...these have none and merchandise is on the floor leaving a tall unstructured, stanchion only, supported area at the base of the two rows of racks. The weight on the shelves is tremendous and likely liquid as hemmjo pointed out. I say tremendous because the weight of the collapse actually moves (Skids) the forklift sideways to hit the rack row opposite starting the domino effect. The real issue here imho, is the stanchion only support at the base of at least these two rows...1-800-bad-mojo for whom ever installed them and not following assembly and load bearing protocol by the manufacturer.

It's not an engineering issue unless you deem the facility engineers, structural engineers...Not. Those racks may have been over loaded...again not an engineering issue. Forklift driver make a Bad descision...not an engineering issue. Once we started calling garbage men, Sanitary Engineers things have gone down hill with blaming Engineers for everything, some rightly, most Wrongly,,,again IMHO. Just like all people and Profession their are good, mediocre and Bad...a full spectrum of qualities and attributes...I think its called being human and not necessarily a Blamable Affliction. Yet in the extremes, the case of the non-discerning a learning curve, and sociopaths, likely being an affliction.

Additionally the few Pallet Rack systems I have worked with have special spring clip pins for locking the cross beams tung and slots from lifting out, but that wont stop a crush of the cross beam on spindly legs from a good sized forklift cage. We have no idea if these were used here, and either case probably wouldn't have helped much. What possessed the forklift driver not to get the 2 guys in front to move the pallet in the middle of the isle or get out and move it himself is a 1-800-bad-idea, imho.

As for Amazon's automated warehouses; they are cutting edge, AI driven enterprise systems with automated (robotic) rack conveyance systems and conveyors that feed the packages to packaging stations where people do the final packaging, then off to shipping on conveyors utilizing Pick and place as well as humans for shipping stations. Saw a special on them a while back and was really impressed "Engineering Wise". The one thing that was missing in the special was a PM and Maintenance Schedule which is Critical, again imho. How else could you get your stuff in 2 days? Personally think Amazon has a great thing going and my experience with their customer service is that it is Exemplary. However I do like to support local brick and mortar for touchy feely and more so for Human interaction...if they know their products and as long as they don't tell me "No Problem" when I thank them for their service.

‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I went to a big Warehouse Logistics Conveyance Systems and Conveyors show, at the Javits Center in New York, and could hardly get past the first display it was so amazing.

Ralph

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 30, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

that_other_guy's Tools
    In my opinion, this shelving was hazorousdly way under designed for the load applied.
    Was this the fault of the designer, or the users I cannot tell from here.
    However, within loading limits, such installations need to be designed for this type of (ab)use.
    -brino

Thanks
    Probably don't need no resume anymore. He's under all that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information