Remove advertisements
    Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 916 Posts

Gas cylinder welding fire - GIF

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

gunsgt1863 (11-12-2017), Seedtick (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 609 Posts
    YOU'RE FIRED! Unfortunately this happens all to frequently around scrap yards, usually with workers who have not been on the job for very long and do no thave much if any experience with disposing of gas cylinders. The fault lies with the supervisor or company policy though, but mostly with improper training. Well run recycle establishments keep all pressurized type cylinders for disposal within the confines of a thick walled concrete enclosure these cylinders first are checked to seen if they are empty then they are mechanically punctured once any possibility of explosion is removed then a qualified worker will use a very long torch to cut the cylinder up into small er pieces. There is still the chance of a fire but not one that would be devastating.
    That guy was extremely lucky not to have been killed. A few years ago a scrapper delivered a load to the recycle place across from where I used to live. Apparently he had hidden several propane cylinders in the load when the workers started cutting it up one or more of those cylinders exploded killing 2 workers and injuring a couple others. The materials were traced back to the scrapper and charges were brought against him.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

Thanks
    My brother in law (BIL) is a lawyer. He had a client about 35 years ago, that purchased 55 gallon scrap barrels. He used an OA torch to cut the top off. Unfortunately one of the barrels had flammable product still in it, with the bungs still intact. The barrel launched like a rocket, as the bottom bulged to where it tore loose, and it sprayed this liquid on him as the explosion was occurring. The barrel came from the oil fields. The original product manufacture and the scrap yard were held liable. The manufacture because a few labels required by OSHA were never in place (it did say flammable), and the scrap yard because they should have removed the barrel end with a "can opener" to prevent morons from making themselves Frankenstein's. The guy was mad at my BIL because he won millions (don't recall how big), some as upfront, and some as a structured settlement (he wanted the whole payout). My BIL, told him you didn't get this money because you were smart. The guy blew through the money buying antique cars.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 609 Posts
    At the blacksmith shop I worked at as a teen we used to de-head lots of barrels to sell as burn barrels, but we had a special made tool we used that Clarence the blacksmith had made it looked somewhat like a huge can opener. I would hook it under the rim then work it around the drum until the end was cut free. Clarence didn't care if it was full of water he wouldn't allow a torch near one until the head was first removed by his tool.

Post your reply!
    Join 20,941 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

Thread Information