Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gear Cutter

Thanks
    PJ
    How right you are!
    Nelson

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 30, 2018)

Thanks
    the ALT 248 is calling an extended ASCII characters.

Look at this page and you can see other Characters
    https://www.asciitable.com/

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    And I thought I knew something and you all just keep adding to my brain. Now to remember it and at my age that seems to be a problem.
    Thank you
    Nelson

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiArt View Post
    the ALT 248 is calling an extended ASCII characters.

Look at this page and you can see other Characters
    https://www.asciitable.com/
    Pretty much all of it started with ASCII because it was built into the keyboards and bios early on to handle (display/print) the alpha/numeric we use to communicate with, but that changed as computers went beyond 256. Actually Alt Codes came from MS trying to preserve the original and expanding it with bigger processing bytes/words (8, 16, 32, 64...). Now there is ASCII, ANSI, HTML & Unicode and maybe a few in between all being brought into Unicode for fonts and escape derivatives...but it all goes back to binary and hex.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Pretty much all of it started with ASCII because it was built into the keyboards and bios early on to handle (display/print) the alpha/numeric we use to communicate with, but that changed as computers went beyond 256. Actually Alt Codes came from MS trying to preserve the original and expanding it with bigger processing bytes/words (8, 16, 32, 64...). Now there is ASCII, ANSI, HTML & Unicode and maybe a few in between all being brought into Unicode for fonts and escape derivatives...but it all goes back to binary and hex.

PJ
    Yes,

My first Computer was 486SX and i "discovered" the ASCII and it was a lot of fun making images of BBS Forums. God I'm old.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Yes,

My first Computer was 486SX and i "discovered" the ASCII and it was a lot of fun making images of BBS Forums. God I'm old.
    Yes, you are getting there. I started with an old CPM 8" floppy, then an Osborne, a Trash 80, a Commodore or 2, and TaDa an Original IBM XT with a 5mb Bernoulli box and 2 360kb floppy...in like flint. Still have the XT, now with a CGA monitor and a video card the size of a mother board now days...goodness knows why...maybe the Gkids will get a kick out of it. Plus I still remember the original BBS/file server/cwis using Gopher and some basic and Edlin...guess I could let that go now, but BBS'ing was a lot of fun on 300 to 56kbaud dial up. Guess that makes me ancient but had a blast along the way. We've come a long way and harder and harder to keep up especially when CRS sets in!
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, there's a tool built-in for working with extended codes. Search for the executable "charmap.exe". It has numerous character sets and you can select the character(s) you want and copy them, then paste into your document.

Bonus hint:

The Windows search function is severely brain-damaged. Do yourself a favor and get a real search function. I can recommend Ultrasearch...

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/

It's fast and thorough and free.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, there's a tool built-in for working with extended codes. Search for the executable "charmap.exe". It has numerous character sets and you can select the character(s) you want and copy them, then paste into your document.

Bonus hint:

The Windows search function is severely brain-damaged. Do yourself a favor and get a real search function. I can recommend Ultrasearch...

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/

It's fast and thorough and free.
    Good point Marv on using Charmap and it is available in 64bit Win7 Pro. I programmed my Calc Button to a popup with Charmap, Calc and UnitConvert a great little quick converter with a ton, plus you can add custom ones not in the library and set the decimals.

I miss XTree (note:West Coast Computer Faire and sold for $39.95...where I got it about then and Gold 3.x later). Best ever imho. You could view in lots of formats (ascii, hex, etc.) and edit files...move, copy, zip...Just the best. Ztree is around and decent search features. Had a look at the Jam stuff, may give the "Free Ultrasearch" as a test towards either their TreeSize Pro or Personal...look decent, compared to FM/Win Exploder.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jul 30, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Homemade tools not necessarily NEW homemade tools.
    Nice work on the gear and the mill. I hope your still making
    cool tools!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information