Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gerry's Beam Engine

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
    Second, I find Marv's link for the wooden air engine to be quite appealing, and the website it points to very interesting.
    Added that link to my mega store of links, most of which are lost forever somewhere on my hard drive!
    Even though I have the tools to build with metal I may just build the wooden one for some variety.
    I've never read of a wooden engine that could develop enough power to drive anything substantial such as a pump. Perhaps with your metalworking expertise, you can improve the design. Personally, I'd rather thread 0-80 holes in stainless steel all day than try to build a wooden engine.

If you use Firefox as your web browser, it does daily captures of your bookmarks for the last fifteen days as well as providing a facility for backing all your bookmarks to an HTML file from which you can reload them. Plus, with its Adblock add-on, you'll never see most of the annoying advertising on most sites.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jun 1, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Agreed - regularly export your bookmarks to a file, and save it locally and remotely. Incredibly valuable file. There are even some tricks to retrieve and cache all of your bookmarked urls, in case the originating url goes down. Another strategy: use Archive.is to make an archive of webpages. This is increasingly common now that news websites will "adjust" their articles after publication; people wanting to discuss the articles will often archive them, and then just reference the archived article. Savvy forum users also use this strategy to make complete copies of discussions that may be deleted.

You will rarely hear webmasters endorse ad blockers, because websites are largely dependent on ads for revenue - but I suggest them to all of our regular users. We've actually recently removed ads to everyone who is logged in, so if you don't want to use an adblocker, you can just make sure you're logged in here if you don't want to see ads.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jun 1, 2017), Seedtick (Jun 1, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks for all the tips guys.
    I actually have been saving html files of my favorites for years. I try and try to organize them and have so many versions on my backups I can't count them all.
    Better to have too many favorites than not to have enough.

For ad blockers I am using a Firefox addin called uBlock origin. Works pretty well and I also have a YouTube add blocker that removes all of the leadin adds in Youtube.

One of these days I will "reorganize" my favorites by deleting all the "dead" ones and putting all of the catagories into folders but I am having too much fun in the shop right now to take the time to do that.

I have been archiving my favorite articles on the internet by copying the entire article and then pasting it into Microsoft Word. Works quite well. You can change the text size and page layout to suit your needs. Sometimes I will also save all of the full size pictures from the article if the thumb nail shots in the article are too small. This all gets put into a folder for future reference. Gotta love the desktop!

Back to the shop.
    Last edited by jjr2001; Jun 1, 2017 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

New Base

Gerry's Beam Engine gets a nice walnut base:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gerry's Beam Engine-img_1446a.jpg   Gerry's Beam Engine-img_1447a.jpg  

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Very nice indeed. It certainly enhances the visual appeal of the model.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Marv, I always thought it looked naked before adding the base plus it was unstable with that brass flywheel off to one side.
    Nice and stable now.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information