Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Golf ball handle ends

Thanks

Bony's Tools

Golf ball handle ends

Golf balls make great handle ends. They are very comfortable in your hand, extremely easy to fit, a visual novelty, free or very cheap and electrically insulated. Just make sure you drill the hole using a lathe (so as to easily locate the hole symmetricaly along the axis of the ball) and drill 1 mm undersize for the shaft you're fitting, then press on.Golf ball handle ends-golf-ball-handle.jpg No tapping of threads or adhesive necessary yet the ball can be removed if necessary without damage. Join the club!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Andyt (Jul 31, 2018), Jon (Jul 30, 2018), Miloslav (Dec 17, 2018), Paul Jones (Aug 29, 2018), PJs (Aug 1, 2018), redearthbonsai (Jul 30, 2018), rlm98253 (Apr 19, 2022), rossbotics (Jul 29, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 16, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 30, 2018), Sleykin (Mar 16, 2019), The Chairman (May 18, 2019), Tonyg (May 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'll scoop up a few and do this too.
    Then I'll call Dad and tell him I did four hole-in-one this evening.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018), Priemsy (Apr 30, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    What are goof balls made of now? the last one I saw I cut it open and it had a 1000 ft of rubber string and a fluid filled ball inside. OK admittedly its been a lot of years since I have even seen a golf ball. Probably the last time was at a put put with my kids when they were little my youngest is not 42 or maybe she is 43.
    The closest I have ever been to a golf course was the 19th hole Senior NCO&O club in Furth Germany back in the 70's
    The idea of golf ball handles is intriguing though. I have a couple of drill presses that could benefit from them.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    I don't play golf either, except at the 19th hole. Waste of a good walk they say. The recent golf balls I've used in the workshop are solid plastic, and drill very well with 10 mm holes at 600 rpm, no melting or fumes. Perfect for drill press knobs.

Interestingly since my first post I've been inundated with ads for golf equipment. Big brother at work.

Bony

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Thank goodness that golf equipment can be usefully repurposed.

I share Churchill's opinion of the game...

"Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose."
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 31, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Aug 24, 2018), PJs (Aug 1, 2018), rlm98253 (Apr 19, 2022), Sleykin (Mar 16, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 31, 2018), volodar (Jul 31, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Thank goodness that golf equipment can be usefully repurposed.

I share Churchill's opinion of the game...

"Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose."
    Now if someone could just come up with A useful purpose for football or basket ball equipment the world would be set.
    Base ball bats can be turned into many useful things, tennis rackets can be used to swat large flying insects out of the air. Hockey sticks have been turned into farm implements but what use is football or basket ball?
    One may have guessed that I am not a devote of any ball game sport, don't play them don't watch them, but then again I am about the same way with musical stuff as well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    What are goof balls made of now? the last one I saw I cut it open and it had a 1000 ft of rubber string and a fluid filled ball inside.
    Frank you are right in how golf balls used to be made, this reminds me of an amusing incident while working with a builder. He found a golf ball and said I wonder what is inside them, Having deconstructed one years before out of idle curiosity I explained the lead paste sack wound with elastic but he would have none of it saying they must be solid, so I cut through one side until the lead paste squirted out under the pressure like party string all over his face and shirt, some people have to learn the hard way I guess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    ... some people have to learn the hard way I guess.
    Or, put another way...

A few learn by reading. Some learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 31, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Now if someone could just come up with A useful purpose for football or basket ball equipment the world would be set.
    Base ball bats can be turned into many useful things, tennis rackets can be used to swat large flying insects out of the air. Hockey sticks have been turned into farm implements but what use is football or basket ball?
    One may have guessed that I am not a devote of any ball game sport, don't play them don't watch them, but then again I am about the same way with musical stuff as well
    Whelp, I stole the well worn work basketball from the guys (buying us another new one). I deflated it, punched out the fill hole slightly bigger and filled it with Isocyanate expanding foam to full size and hard...as it was just the size I needed. I then formed a 1/4"OD SST cryocoil, I had shaped flat over it, to create a dome shape cryocoil for a Sales Demo unit I designed and built. Basically it would cycle between between atmosphere (760 Torr) and ambient temp to -50°/10^-4 Torr in about a minute and a half. I polished the coil and had it black chromed so the ice formation on the coil would show up from 30' away through the modified bell jar it was under. Had I not played the lunch league...probably wouldn't have thought of it and spent far more designing a form and fabricating it...who knew.

As for Basketball, at 6'6" the first thing people ask me is if I play basketball...Whelp I did until I pulled both my Achilles tendons...a bad day on goat rock, but still toss hoops with my Gson. Best thing about Flog to me was I could make $20 bucks an afternoon diving/finding lost balls and selling them back for 2-4 bits each...if no marks I could get 6 bits...using them for handles is priceless.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    PJ I can appreciate your cryocoil for a Sales Demo unit
    Shortly after the Wife and I went to Kuwait the company I was with was involved in building a rather large cold storage unit.-40°c
    the building was just over 171600 cubic meters or 6,059,996 cubic feet A little over 100,000 cubic meters of this was to be the actual cold storage with 12 separate zones some were only -20°c others were to be carried to the full depth. all of the rest of the volume in the building except for the office area was kept at -5°c Quite a feat considering the ambient outside temps could regularly reach 45 to 50°c in the dead of summer.
    I went to Turkey and specked the sandwich panels to be 200mm thick out of PUR then to Denmark to speck the doors to be made 120MM thick out of PIR.
    My reason for the PIR speck was two fold. insulation qualities versus thickness and heat resistance as in fire retardant.
    THE US Navy was to be 1 of the renters and their specks called for fire rated doors through out the facility I was able to meet their requirements without the need of installing secondary doors

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 2, 2018)

Thread Information