Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: GoPro used to hook trailer

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

GoPro used to hook trailer

Not realy a tool, but was stuck today having to hook my boat and nobody at home to guide me so...

Attached the GoPro to the boat in such a manner that I can see the coupler. Then synced to my phone.

Then I could simply watch the video steaming on my phone and line up the Pick-Up and the trailer perfectly.

Just be carefull as there is about a 2 second delay for the video to show on the phone.

I did the same to put the boat back into the garage. Simply fitted the GoPro to the back of the boat.

Perhaps it could have some other applications where you need to do something on this side of the work bench and have to see what is happening on the other side..
    GoPro used to hook trailer-hook-camera.jpgGoPro used to hook trailer-hook-camera-2.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 30, 2018), Jon (Mar 30, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Nice job.
    Years ago I started prototyping fully automatic self aligning coupling system. I got as far as the testing phase which went well as long as the operator could manage to back his vehicle within 3 inches left or right but he had to be reasonably straight in front of of the trailer. But this is not always possible as sometimes a trailer has to be connected at a near jack-knife angle I felt that I could have overcome that detail by adding a little more angularity movement but since the system was dependent on both the vehicle and the trailer using mated components if someone had multiple trailers all of them would have needed the came type coupler. Not very practical plus the minimum Liability insurance to put something like that on the market was in excess of 25 million, and to get DOT certification was going to be another lengthy process.So I scrapped the idea.
    Now they have tailgate cams which interface with a screen on the dash even the radio I installed in my pickup has bluetooth interface capability for up to 3 cameras.
    Your use of your phone is another good example of how technology has advanced since my idea back in the 80's and does not require reinventing a coupling system.
    Even some new pickups and SUV's have the capability to self back a trailer down a launch ramp.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Clever. Reminded me of this:

Last edited by Jon; Sep 24, 2020 at 01:07 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 30, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2018)

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Perhaps I can share this "AID" in the same thread.

My boat is a 5.2m Cat with 2 x 60Hp motors fitted. The trailer is a fairly sturdy contraption that is almost 2 trailers op top of one another to all it to pivot for ease of launching directly into the sea from the beach and and also to load again when the boat is driven onto the beach. I guess what I am trying to justify is that the boat trailer combination is a tad over 1200Kg. So it is always mover by internal combustion.

My pick-up has an aftermarket steel bumper with all the brackets for a winch, but no ball attachment facility.

So I made a new bracket that holds the rollers for the cable retrieval of the winch and a receiver to take the ball. All manufactured out of various angle sections. The pieces I cut out of the angle on the top and bottom was used to create the support on the side for the horizontal rollers. You can see for the "square tube" I used 2 angles to create a snug fit.

The rollers are some thick walled galvanised pipe that was lying in the shop with some washers welded to the sides and drilled out to accept the 16mm SS shafts.

So now I can just attach the ball to the front bumper and push the boat where ever I need it to go and I still have the full functionality of my winch.

GoPro used to hook trailer-f-bumper-receiver.jpg
    Last edited by garage nut; Mar 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Some pics of it fitted. I have only fitted the vertical shafts. I am waiting on the rollers to return from galvanising.

Forgot to mention that the ball has to be removable otherwise it seriously restricts the vehicle's off roading ability.

Always believe a picture....or 2 is worth a 1000 words.

GoPro used to hook trailer-f-bumper-receiver-2.jpg

GoPro used to hook trailer-f-bumper-receiver-3.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I really like your front receiver, they are very handy. I have one on my backhoe when I have the fork carriage mounted
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Trailer Hook Up Aid to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Ball Receiver and Winch Cable Roller to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I am all behind [lol] front mounted hitches. Reducing distance between steering tires and center of ball multiplies maneuverability by who knows how many times, while decreasing effective overall length of vehicle and trailer. Adding winch fairlead rollers to your hitch arrangement is just plain brilliant. So is use of the Go-Pro.
    When still in California, often faced identical set of issues with 31' Scorpion and outboards.
    Few [none] of my solutions in the 80's were technology based. My go-to's always seem to come out based on measurement.
    1] I measured exact centerline of rear window. Applied very narrow Letra-set strip vertically, 'superimposed' on mirror at height of bow.
    2] At distance, with upper deck and bow visible, could easily establish line to coupler, which wasn't visible. After trials, knew when point of bow disappeared, the coupler was three feet away.
    3] I'd set 2 small orange blocks, 1 outside door in line with the door jam, connected to other by fishing line of correct length. Then, in backing had reference distance just looking out window straight down door line of jam.
    Never over ran the coupler into tailgate, receiver, hit bow, or anything! Good thing about a 2 5/8" ball, finds the coupler if anywhere near close.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information