Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Grayson lathe screwcutting chart

Thanks

Canobi's Tools

Grayson lathe screwcutting chart

Hi folks

Documentation is vey scarce for the Grayson, no user manual was ever put into print, what was printed was largely reserved for sales so the screwcutting chart was the only document to ship with each new machine.

Unfortunately, the charts don't seem to survive the ages as well as the lathes do, so I was mighty surprised to see a chart included with the sale of a Grayson on eBay just the other day, albeit in an almost unreadable condition.

As it happens, I fiddle around with graphics from time to time, so I took a screen grab and attempted to clean up the image enough to share after treatment but that didn't work out. I could read the words and numbers (better anyway, still some bad areas that needed close attention) but the oil marks were impossible to remove without effecting what I had made readable as the blotches were the same colour as the writing. So I've re-created the chart in it's entirety as close to its original format as I'm able, bar the short notes at the base which were too worn in too many places to make out with any level of certainty.

Still, as a relative noobie to machining, screwcutting is something I've yet to try on my lathe due to the lack of said chart and as I know there are other Graysons still spinning away cutting chips, I'm sharing my effort in the hope it will help them as it has me
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Canobi; Feb 23, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canobi For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Feb 23, 2018)

Thanks

Canobi's Tools
    Sorry folk, just spotted a slight error with the fine feed numbers, fixed now so have replaced the PDF with the updated one.

2000 Tool Plans
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

Thread Information