Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Gyroscopic grilling - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

Gyroscopic grilling - GIF

Gyroscoping grilling. Does this motion allow for even exposure to the heat source?

Previously:

Sprinkler grill
    Automatic hot dog cooking grill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Aug 11, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 4, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Other than the novelty of building such a contraption I fail to see the point unless it was to help to fan the coals. the rim of what ever would be cooking will almost always be exposed to higher heat since any axis of rotation would bring the rim or edges much closer to the fire than would be possible of the 2 flat sides

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    This is a very badly named gizmo, it is not a Gyroscope with any stretch of the imagination.
    It is a set of Gimbals exhibiting the normally unwanted properties of Gimbal Lock.
    I agree with Frank S., it is novel and I enjoyed watching the clip, but it is impractical because of the uneven heat offered to the meat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Other than the novelty of building such a contraption I fail to see the point unless it was to help to fan the coals. the rim of what ever would be cooking will almost always be exposed to higher heat since any axis of rotation would bring the rim or edges much closer to the fire than would be possible of the 2 flat sides
    Same here. More a visual gimmick for a street cuisine crowd, than efficient even cooking, it would seem.
    Who needs dizzy pork loins? Air circulating from below is more effective than fanning the top; heat rises. My temptation, besides eating the results, is a deeper box that isn't cooling above the sill, and re-heating the product.
    A normal rotisserie accomplishes same effect...with 1/4 the effort, and might cook twice the quantity.
    The gyro is only driven at the outer gimbal, slow turning sheave visible to the left. If the meat isn't distributed evenly for a half-ways decent center of balance, the inner gimbal would rarely present both sides anyway.
    The gif seems to demonstrate an erratic action as is.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Gyroscoping grilling. Does this motion allow for even exposure to the heat source?

Previously:

Sprinkler grill
    Automatic hot dog cooking grill
    I used a similar three axis gimballed device in a gym we frequented in Weileim, Bavaria in 1993. I asked my wife about it today, but she doesnīt even recall seeing it. Rings were about 2.5 m diameter. None were externally driven. The system was powered by the userīs body movement. One stood on inner ring, feet spread. Handholds - no detail remembered - diametrically opposite foot placements. Very much like in the DaVinci anatomical circle. I used this almost daily to some extent, until the day I made it spin about all axes simultaneously as fast as I could. It felt violent, and gave me a horrible headache (not something I ever have). Never went on it again. Havenīt seen this device anywhere else.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information