Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hacksaw machine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Hacksaw machine

Yet another hacksaw machine, this one is built from mostly second hand parts about two years ago.
    Capacity is 4 inch square, stroke is 3 inches and speed is 125 cutting strokes per min.
    I prefer the linear motion type instead of the rocking frame variety as it gives a better motion to the blade, so this design is dictated by the materials I had available and the need to make it using only a lathe and pillar drill.
    The traditional method is to use hexagon bar but I already had some ¾ square bar available some 4 X 2 inch box channel and some 10mm alloy plate so a way of using all this was devised.
    The motor is from an old cement mixer as is the Poly V drive belt, there are 10 ball races in total (all pre used but serviceable for this).
    As is oblivious from the pics the blade frame rides under the guide arms on 4 races which take all the weight and the blade frame is keyed, bolted and welded as there is a lot of tension on this part. As is also apparent the frame would drop out when lifted so this was solved by two bronze discs on the top face which do no work except to keep things in place, all assemblies are pinned after set up alignment.
    I had just enough hex bar for the vice part which helped, the large pulley is multi ply, this was machined and coated with resin and re-machined and mounted on a hub as I had run out of material for this,(a temporary measure which is still in service). Extra weights can be added but in practice are rarely needed and I have found the best blades are Eclipse Plus 30 bi metal HSS used dry as any lubricant seems to slow the cut.
    I have just sliced of a piece of 2 inch EN8 bar which took under three minutes and is pretty accurate for this type of machine as long as care is taken in manufacture to make all faces square, I added a top guard from a piece of plastic pipe and the only purchased item has been a NVR switch working through an end of cut micro switch. I really wish I had made this years ago.

Hacksaw machine-imgp0269.jpg Hacksaw machine-imgp0293.jpg

Hacksaw machine-imgp0294.jpg Hacksaw machine-screen-shot-01-16-17-12.39-pm.png

Hacksaw machine-screen-shot-01-16-17-12.46-pm.png Hacksaw machine-screen-shot-01-16-17-12.47-pm.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Oct 21, 2017), Jon (Mar 27, 2020), Paul Jones (Jan 18, 2017), PJs (Jan 17, 2017), Woodgeezr (Jan 20, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    nice one Dan. There are many things that when we eventually make them we wonder why we didn't do it yonks ago. I have often though about one of these but most of my steel cutting is tube and I use an abrasive wheel chop saw for that, or Aluminium and I use a carbide tipped wood saw blade in a chop saw for that. So I tell myself that I don't need one, rightly or wrongly I don't know.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 17, 2017)

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks Tony
    It sounds as though you do all right without one, I tend to work with steels of dubious origin including stainless.
    I have heard that Rage saw blades will cut just about any metals or wood but not tried them myself.
    regards
    Olderdan

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Electric Hacksaw to our Hacksaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice work- the linear motion was a great choice plus building things from what you have "in house" is ace in my book.

Any chance of liberating your Sketchup file on this project?

JohnMTO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMTO For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 23, 2017)

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMTO View Post
    Nice work- the linear motion was a great choice plus building things from what you have "in house" is ace in my book.

Any chance of liberating your Sketchup file on this project?

JohnMTO
    Thanks John
    I have tons of Sketchup files to scale but they are to large to upload on HMT, the hacksaw one is 13.2MB.
    I do not want a Google account or Dropbox for privacy concerns but would otherwise be happy to share if there is another way.
    Regards
    Olderdad

10. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 23, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I do not want a Google account or Dropbox for privacy concerns but would otherwise be happy to share if there is another way.
    Olderdad
    Alan,

I don't think that there are privacy concerns with Dropbox and it is free up to quite a lot of storage.
    Another option would be a free website.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A zip file is pretty straight forward. I suggested this (by PM) to olderdan along with my email address.

JohnMTO

Thanks

olderdan's Tools

Zip

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMTO View Post
    A zip file is pretty straight forward. I suggested this (by PM) to olderdan along with my email address.

JohnMTO
    File sent to you John, hope it it is of some use to you.

Thanks

penca's Tools
    hi od i`m in a bit of a confusion right now as you say capacity is 4 inch but stroke is just 3 seems to me some teeth can`t evacuate properly as they never see the light or is 4 inch tube? hope it`s just me and this is a non issue for solid material
    asking bc this one is on my list for my home shop, have a couple bandsaws and cold saw in my "business" shop. but it`s a few km from home... this little one would fit the small room i have at home.
    thanks for sharing man.
    pete

Thread Information