Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop

Thanks

Viny's Tools

Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop

So, I bought this HF crane years ago and had it permanently mounted in an old pickup truck. I sold the truck, and the crane sat in my shed, forlorn. I decided to put it in my barn/shop and make it useful for different projects, etc. Also, I thought I would mount it such that I could also use it on my 1 ton when I needed to lift something into the bed.

I first started with the truck mount. I welded an additional 2" receiver pipe onto the lower bumper portion of the rear of the truck. I built the lower frame out of 2" square tube. It plugs into the original receiver and the additional receiver. I also attached a Curt Industries swing and crank leg to support the whole mess while a load is being lifted into the bed. I then created an upper mount for the vertical post of the crane to mount to the lower frame. I did this to make the whole thing beefy, yet kind of modular so assembling it and moving it wouldn't be too much of a chore. Here's the finished product.

Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop-crane-mounted-truck.jpg

In this view you see the leg swung up and the hook secured for travel. In all reality, I'd just pull the pin and remove the leg altogether.

Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop-crane-stowed-travel.jpg

Here you see some detail showing the extra receiver and the pins holding the upper and lower frames together.

Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop-crane-detail-showing-extra-receiver.jpg
    Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop-crane-detail-showing-pins.jpg

From here, I moved onto mounting it for use in my barn. I stewed on this for some time and finally realized that if I mount it to my gantry crane, it would very handy as an extra lift point on my gantry crane. I welded a couple of new receivers to the base of the gc and mounted it up. Here you can see the final product. Sorry for the backlit photo.

Harbor Freight Jib Crane Mounts - Truck and Shop-crane-mounted-gantry.jpg

The truth of the matter is that the jib crane will spend 99% of the time mounted to the gantry crane, but I can always move it to the 1 ton if I need to go lift/move something unwieldy. I also have realized that using this 2" receiver as a standard, I can mount all my extra tools, vises, etc and have much flexibility going forward.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Viny For This Useful Post:

bukwessul (Oct 6, 2017), Jon (Jul 25, 2017), J_P (Jul 31, 2017), Seedtick (Jul 25, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Feb 28, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Nice. We love a good Harbor Freight tool modification. We have a bunch more listed here: Homemade tools made with Harbor Freight tools

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Viny! We've added your Truck Crane Mount to our Cranes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Viny's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Viny! We've added your Gantry Crane Mount to our Cranes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Viny's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

J_P

Thanks

J_P's Tools
    Those work well with flat bed trucks. I've never seen a good mounting in a pickup truck.

Supporting Member
    Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada, Earth.
    Thanks
    Hi Viny,
    Good job on the crane mount system. Could be useful in many more places with a bit of thought. The outrigger leg is a smart addition also. Keeps the wobbles to a min. and could keep a heavy object from wanting to swing on that cable and prevent some busted up fingers.

Good deal you dusted it off and made it useful again. With a small crane like that around the shop your back will thank you also, hehe.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Agreeing w/ Capn Roy, the trailer jack is very worthwhile. Those little cranes will do 1500lbs with arm retracted; serious leverage outside wheel base and tread width. I'm betting a bench grinder, pipe vise, or other tool needing stability get mounting frames too....
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Viny's Tools
    Thanks fellas, as I predicted, this is actually spending most of it’s time attached to my gantry crane, where it provides a second point of lift. I am glad I put this together and expect to use it on the truck from time to time in the future!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information