Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hardware storage unit

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Hardware storage unit

My latest venture is this hardware storage unit that I built from angle iron & sheetmetal. It features (8) 24 compartment storage boxes from Harbor Freight giving me 192 compartments in all and is finished off in Sail blue from Rustoleum. A top will be added as soon as I decide on what I want. 11 gauge steel sheet, diamond plate, wood? Decisions, decisions...

Hardware storage unit-dscn7834.jpg
    Hardware storage unit-dscn7835.jpg
    Hardware storage unit-dscn7836.jpg
    Hardware storage unit-dscn7837.jpg
    Hardware storage unit-dscn7838.jpg
    Hardware storage unit-dscn7839.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Hemi (May 11, 2017), Paul Jones (May 11, 2017), rossbotics (May 11, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 10, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Good one bobs409! I like it. Never had as much problem with the trays as the unit itself, you've cured that. Personally I've take. To mounting my storage units on the bottom of cabinets and shelves as I don't have bench space to spare.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by C-Bag; May 10, 2017 at 04:21 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 10, 2017), Paul Jones (May 11, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yep, horizontal surfaces are at a premium. Space [vertical] is comparatively free, just invest ways to capture it.

My cataloging system for bins and totes is plain numerical; 1, 2, 3,....as far a needed. When re-organization is called for, contents are switched and the table of contents edited. Bin 1 is always Bin 1. I think fasteners and hardware are up to 166#'s so far. Inserts and toolholder hardware is just 67#.
    Thanks to excel type programs. Changes are not daunting. Of course not everything is itemized yet. Starting out, I guess at how many spaces to skip.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; May 10, 2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 11, 2017)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
    My latest venture is this hardware storage. A top will be added as soon as I decide on what I want. 11 gauge steel sheet, diamond plate, wood? Decisions, decisions... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7839.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	17872
    Top? I'd opt for something that could be recessed, a tray. Come time to sort or handle, containment beats chasing dowel pins or springs rolling around.

Your cookie tins are ideal; if loss of baked goods isn't threatened...
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; May 11, 2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Quip, unlicensed levity, early morning guffaw.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 11, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    TM51 just like everything else that has to do with storage once an item has been cataloged the bin indexed and the drawer has been put in place there needs to be a handy quick reference sheet hanging near the bin or rack of bins
    Looking for a specific item simply flip through the sheets while scrolling down the index numbers. AH-HA,There it is J bolt 1/4 20 tpi 2.5" long 1/2" 90° J .062" cotter hole section 132 drawer 3 bin B 3 quantity 14 (make entry on white board of qty removed for inventory update). Now if I can just teach my wife how to write down the descriptions of every piece of hardware as she helps to sort things for their proper places. my job of inventory master would be easy.
    But right now it is more like HONEY where did you put that bolt with the red paint on it you found the other day.I can't seam to find it anywhere
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 11, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 11, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Top? I'd opt for something that could be recessed, a tray. Come time to sort or handle, containment beats chasing dowel pins or springs rolling around.
    That's a good suggestion! I am envisioning 2 cookie pans for a top now.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Oh certainly, have to remember the Honey title. Nothing good happens otherwise.
    When the Ms. first explored my work table drawers, the first question was "Why so many hammers"?
    Later, on hardware trips, pointing out a display, she'd ask "Got one of those"? Yep 2 through 32 ounce, or what ever the particulars were.
    Now it's, "There isn't a lime colored one"?
    Far as the list goes, I print out a clipboard copy. No one sorts but I. Self appointed master and go-fer. Chauvinistic, yes. Orderly? Of course.
    The collection was seeded by friend, worked industrial hardware warehouse. Broken boxes and spills were swept, not sorted. I got four, full 5 gallon buckets. Two with smaller fasteners so dense, the handles would barely lift the bucket. Took months, item by item. Huge variety, not so many of each. Great for fix-it jobs or figuring out thread engagement etc. For specifics there are 3 dusty oldtime True Value around. Love that incredible variety. For quantities I rely on distributors like Fastenmost. Decidedly foremost is https://www.mcmaster.com/#. Soon, time comes to reorganize the building's entire inventory, their print catalog will be the precedence of order.
    Any body want a plane ticket and 3-4 weeks housed in historical home?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Hardware Storage Unit to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
    That's a good suggestion! I am envisioning 2 cookie pans for a top now.
    Cookie trays are a good idea but they should be fitted out as sorting trays.

After dumping a handful of whatever in the tray and finding what you want, you need an easy way to put the remaining parts back in their assigned bin. Lots of ways to do it. If it were my problem I would think about a wooden insert for the tray that acts as a horizontal "funnel" leading to a hole the shape of one of the bins. Put the insert in place before dumping the parts in; then, when done, tilt tray to allow parts to slide into funnel and drop through hole back into their bin.

One problem I've had with the partitioned storage boxes that have the partitions fixed in place is the difficulty of dumping out the contents of just one compartment. I went so far as to make a thin plywood mask with a hole the size of the individual bin. With this in place over the target bin I could sort of dump out just that one. There were other problems with this scheme - I won't bore you with a description - so ultimately I switched to the HF boxes that have little removable bins.

Anyway, you may want to give some thought to how you are going to access and replace the contents of an individual bin.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 11, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,
    I keep several inexpensive heavy duty tweezers next my storage bins and partitioned boxes so I can easily extract a single screw or nut. The tweezers also work well for sorting through the bin or partitioned boxes. The tweezers with rubber tips are especially useful.
    Paul

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 11, 2017)

Thread Information