Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HDPE Mallet - AKA Milk Jug Hammer

Thanks
    This really cought my eye. When timberframing a durable mallet is a necessity, at times heavier the better. I made large ones out of ash and maple but they always split eventually. I reuse the handle each time. The last one I made I put threaded rod with (can't think of the proper name now) flanges nuts used backwards, the flanges out. Still split. Have sense obtained some 5x8 black locusts I plan on turning on the lathe with metal bands to prevent splitting. Just may have to try this too!
    Thanks
    Eric

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 13, 2018)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Wow, there's probably a million adaptations one could come up with. I will start saving jugs and in the meantime think of things to make. This is really great stuff. Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Has anyone used these for an extended time? Wondering how they hold up for straightening hot steel?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Thanks

DrByte's Tools
    Foam peanuts melted with the right solvent make an excellent glue! Just put a little acetone in a jar and start throwing in the peanuts. They have to be the real foam peanuts, not the oatmeal biodegradable stuff. Also clean coffee cups work. Works on some plastics and fairly good on wood, especially as a temporary bond.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrByte For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Is there anything on the moulding of the block, i.e. mould and do you apply pressure...how?

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    The mold was screwed together so that it could be disassembled in case everything stuck together. I lined my mold with wax paper so that the plastic would not stick to the mold. To get a dense block without many voids you have to use pressure. I used bar clamps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mr95gst For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks
    I have got to try this. (I knew there was a reason to save all those milk jugs!) And I like the idea of cutting up a blue Lowe's or orange Home Despot bucket for contrasting swirls. Anybody have ideas on how to make the cutting/shredding go quicker & easier? Just a thought: a sheet of parchment paper -- or even better one of those silicone baking mats (like Silpat) -- might be more effective than wax paper.

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    There is a guy on line that has free plans for a plastic shredder. The files are made so that you can hand them to someone with a laser cutter to cut all the pieces out. I forget the guys name but he has a youtube channel and demonstrates the shredder. Its a beast. Unfortunately, I think it would costs about $400 to $500 to make with the high torque motor. I thought about it for a bit but decided I couldn't invest that much into it with it only having a single use.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I don't see why you couldn't use a metal mould. Find the shape you want, round, square, rectangle, whatever and stand it upright in the oven and continue to add material until the mould is full. Leave it in the oven to become one solid block. After it cools square the ends and machine the hole for the handle, Hammer Time...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information