Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Heavy Duty Safety Stand Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Heavy Duty Safety Stand Plans

Heavy Duty Safety Stand Plans for Sale - $10

$10 - Click here to buy now via PayPal and download instantly

30-day money-back guarantee.
    If you purchase these plans and are not 100% satisfied, we'll refund your purchase price.

These plans include:

• A 13-page instruction manual with step-by-step construction details and 18 different detailed diagrams.
    • A list of required materials for each stand.
    • 1 fullsize technical drawing featuring every part in the stand.
    • 2 Solidworks SimulationXpress studies simulating the strength of both the stand and top plate.

We all want to be as safe as possible when working in around or UNDER vehicles and equipment.

Good quality safety stands are often pricey for valid reasons: engineering, production marketing and insurance are just a few of these.

These are heavy-duty, strong safety stands that typically cost $100 or more when purchased new. Since these are plans for stands, and not the stands themselves, they cannot technically be certified by a safety laboratory. Therefore, I have included two different Solidworks SimulationXpress stress test studies to demonstrate the strength of these stands.

I made every effort to provide as concise and complete a set of plans and instructions with pictorials as well to allow you the buyer to fabricate your stands to be as safe as reasonably possible.

No one can predict the buyer's fabrication skills. I tried to ensure that the necessary instructions are geared to a slightly advanced novice to be able to have their very own safety stands that if constructed according to the plans with the recommended materials should last them a lifetime.

Thank you for your interest.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have by posting in this discussion, either before you purchase, during construction, or to post pictures of your finished stands.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Sep 9, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jun 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Whether this tests the plans for purchase program or is an offer from Frank S, I like it.
    Details that Jon and DIY'er listed are there and stress analysis even! Full size drawings and a 30 day return of funds, etc are the deal of the century for 10 bucks.
    Way back, stands I purchased [still have em...under the El Camino] needed one additional feature. I drilled through the stand, 90 degrees from original hole but lower; by half the hole spacing on the tube. This increased the increments of adjustment X 2 without weakening the structure at all. The added benefit; could rotate the 3 feet so the 'apex' was outboard, allowing that extra couple inches between for the creeper. Only needed to extend chain attaching the pin.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yes Toolmaker 51 the plans are the real deal. I used to have the guys in my factory in Kuwait make these stands by the dozens. The sales department offered the stands as part of a whole shop equipment inventory as well as in pairs to individual customers.
    We imported many safety stands manufactured from all over the world, we offered 3 different models of my stands. These heavy duty were among our best sellers even though they were by no means the lowest priced stands of the same capacity.
    If the purchaser of these plans build theirs anywhere close to the same as the plans show they will find that they will have a useful tool to hand down to their children or possibly even grand children.If used properly they are nearly indestructible

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 27, 2016)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    What does "Heavy Duty" mean? 1,000-3000 lbs., 2,000-4,000 lbs., 3,000-6,000 lbs. etc. I understand fabrication skill (or lack of) is directly proportional to the outcome. However, I would like to know the weight "range" they were designed for before purchase. Can't read the stress analysis numbers because they have been understandably compressed or blurred.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    These stands if constructed properly can easily support 14 tons to 16 tons. For safety concerns I have seen them used under substantially higher loads than 32,000 lbs in their lowest position in fact closer to 50,000 lbs but I would never recommend them for loads anywhere near that much. for loads that heavy I have much heavier designs

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Frank, thank you for the very fast reply and the additional information. That fact that you did FEA indicates your design and commitment to a quality part is far and above the standard stand you will see in a neighborhood car parts store. However, I assume the vast majority of readers viewing this site are DIY, homebrew, type folks. We are working on our family car, pickup truck, or race car. We want something strong and safe but reasonably lightweight and/or easily portable. We are not interested in a heavy, 16 ton, industrial strength, stand. Easy maneuverability for placement under a car, as well as lightening the payload in an already overloaded car trailer is important to the weekend racer. I will be the first to buy a set of plans if you redesign a set to a lower weight of 2-3 Tons max capacity. Yes, I could easily substitute materials in your plans to lower weight and capacity but without FEA how could I trust them? And when adding in safety factor I can’t reasonably do destructive testing. Thank you for the extremely high quality plans. They just don’t fit my environment.

The suggestion of a half-increment height adjustment is extremely useful.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Nov 19, 2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: missing word

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 20, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Saltfever I really hadn't given much thought to a lighter set of stands my reasoning being there are by far too many on the market that anyone can view and get their ideas of how to construct them out of similar or slightly heavier materials to suit their needs.
    when it comes to stands for supporting tractor trailer rigs firetruck sized equipment, one can not readily find stands to support vehicles like those at the neighborhood tools supply store. Even should they sell them they most likely would have to special order them and would not take too kindly to someone deciding they didn't want them after they came it only to make their own if you know what i mean.
    However you do bring up a valid point I think time permitting I will redesign a lightweight possibly fold away stands to be stowed away in the confines of the sometimes very small trunk space. Thank you for your suggestion

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What is the range of height for the stands?

The image on this page shows 3 legs/feet. The image for the one that was in the email shows 4 legs/feet. Are the plans for a tripod type? I much prefer a 3 leg stand.

Thanks so much.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The plans list both the 3 and the 4 leg stands. these are tall stands mainly designed for heavy vehicles the height range is from 19" (480mm) to 26" (660MM) nominal
    There are both advantages and disadvantages to any design.
    On the one hand a 3 leg stand will sometimes allow for placement closer to the backing plat on trucks while depending on how a stand is situated under a vehicle the 4 leg stand provides slightly more stable support. as with any supporting device care must be taken when using in the elevated heights, just because a device will support a given amount of weight without structural failure does not negate the possibility of the supported vehicle shifting.
    I have plans to produce a reduced height set of plans for those who require shorter stands However with these plans the fabricator should be able to scale them down for their needs as long as they maintain the material thickness and relative size dimensions just shorten the legs main tube and the inner tube lengths. I do not recommend increasing the height due to possible loss of stability
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 20, 2016 at 10:19 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Frank, thank you for the very fast reply and the additional information. That fact that you did FEA indicates your design and commitment to a quality part is far and above the standard stand you will see in a neighborhood car parts store. However, I assume the vast majority of readers viewing this site are DIY, homebrew, type folks. We are working on our family car, pickup truck, or race car. We want something strong and safe but reasonably lightweight and/or easily portable. We are not interested in a heavy, 16 ton, industrial strength, stand. Easy maneuverability for placement under a car, as well as lightening the payload in an already overloaded car trailer is important to the weekend racer. I will be the first to buy a set of plans if you redesign a set to a lower weight of 2-3 Tons max capacity. Yes, I could easily substitute materials in your plans to lower weight and capacity but without FEA how could I trust them? And when adding in safety factor I can’t reasonably do destructive testing. Thank you for the extremely high quality plans. They just don’t fit my environment.

The suggestion of a half-increment height adjustment is extremely useful.
    Welcome, saltfever. Originally the mod was compensate for my jack fitted with a transmission cradle; one adjustment too high, a hole lower too low. Then an occasion with driveway with a bit of pitch in two directions stymied our work gusseting a rolling chassis. They're better without building torque in permanently...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information