Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Heavy tire controlled explosion test - videos

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Looks like they were trying to seat the bead of a tubeless tire by injecting some volatile gas like propane then light it the rapid expansion will seat the bead. I've used starting fluid 100's of times to inflate stubborn tubeless tires before I got around to getting a tire flater tank with a 2" valve and nozzle. That reminds me I need to check with the guy I loaned it to he has had it long enough. If he doesn't return it soon I may have to build another
    It fires me up about folk who borrow gear & don't return it. I lent my F-in Law some kit & asked family to retrieve at their leisure after his funeral. The next door neighbour had the lot (& some of Brian's). 2 of my homemade saw stools which had 10" by 2" oregon pine tops that were great for painting or working on ceilings or set them up as scaffold with a plankfor working on eves etc. Also good when I worked big/full sheets of ply etc. He also claimed the Makita 3hp plunge router was Given him and the boat live bait tank. Karma will bite him.There were other tools that didn't really bother me as I had duplicates.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Man that was exciting! I wonder if they survived!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    [QUOTE=ranald;128279]It fires me up about folk who borrow gear & don't return it.
    I have to Qualify the following story by saying I am a recovering alcholic, 40 years sober.
    A couple years after I had gotten married we lived in a rental house next door to a couple about 10 years older than us and they had 2 young children. We became very good friends and after we moved a few times we still got together occasionally as friends do. Roger and I were out in the garage just hanging out and I happened to see a metal case skill saw laying on shelf under the workbench and I just commented, "I have had this saw for several years and I have no idea where it came from". Roger said, "It's mine, I loaned it to you about 15 years ago when we were neighbors". This conversation took place after I had been sober about 5 years. I may have borrowed tools or money from others when I was still drinking and in a blackout and anytime I need something, I always try to make sure that if it is borrowed to return in better condition than when taken, or just go buy unless high dollar value probably never needed again. Now if I loan something, I always think about my past. I had a friend who is in the same sober club as me that said that if someone asks to borrow money, he will just give them money never expecting to get it back, that way if it never comes back he has nothing to be angry about. I put my wife through hell the first 10 years of our marriage and spent the last 40 years making it up to her. Hopefully I haven't borrowed anything that hasn't been returned since that saw.
    Bill In Buffalo

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stillldoinit For This Useful Post:

Loose Ctrl (Feb 19, 2019), that_other_guy (Feb 18, 2019), Tule (Feb 19, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    [QUOTE=stillldoinit;128383]
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    It fires me up about folk who borrow gear & don't return it.
    I have to Qualify the following story by saying I am a recovering alcholic, 40 years sober.
    A couple years after I had gotten married we lived in a rental house next door to a couple about 10 years older than us and they had 2 young children. We became very good friends and after we moved a few times we still got together occasionally as friends do. Roger and I were out in the garage just hanging out and I happened to see a metal case skill saw laying on shelf under the workbench and I just commented, "I have had this saw for several years and I have no idea where it came from". Roger said, "It's mine, I loaned it to you about 15 years ago when we were neighbors". This conversation took place after I had been sober about 5 years. I may have borrowed tools or money from others when I was still drinking and in a blackout and anytime I need something, I always try to make sure that if it is borrowed to return in better condition than when taken, or just go buy unless high dollar value probably never needed again. Now if I loan something, I always think about my past. I had a friend who is in the same sober club as me that said that if someone asks to borrow money, he will just give them money never expecting to get it back, that way if it never comes back he has nothing to be angry about. I put my wife through hell the first 10 years of our marriage and spent the last 40 years making it up to her. Hopefully I haven't borrowed anything that hasn't been returned since that saw.
    Bill In Buffalo
    Thanks for your story, Bill. I really think you can move on and not be "recovering",:life is short & 40 years is a big chunk of anyones. Your partner is still beside you.

My previous wife & a friend both passed at age 38. I remember incidents like the one I posted and I think I've let them go but when I'm fired up I realize I still have to work on that "letting go" some more. I had a "friend" who really stuck it to me over his greed & cheating & i'm so glad & blessed that I didn't go into business with him afterall. I've forgiven him & I pop by for a coffee & chat ocassionally. Talking to him now, I see he hasn't changed & I realize & accept it's in his nature like "the scorpion & the frog" and dont bear any malice but will never trust him again. You might say 'forgiven but not forgotten'.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

that_other_guy's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ........That reminds me I need to check with the guy I loaned it to he has had it long enough. If he doesn't return it soon I may have to build another
    Hey Frank, can I borrow the new one?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by that_other_guy View Post
    Hey Frank, can I borrow the new one?
    Only if I decide to make 2 of them LOL
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Feb 19, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=stillldoinit;128383]
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    It fires me up about folk who borrow gear & don't return it.
    Bill In Buffalo
    Recovering also. This May will be 13 years. I still feel the pull when my anxiety levels are up or during any emotional times.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks Frank, I could not think of what they were doing.

Ralph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post

Ralph
    Don't feel bad, Ralph; they didn't think about it, either.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post

Ralph
    Ralph I learned the trick back sometime around 81 or 82. One morning I stopped at my favorite coffee shop to see if there was anyone needing help that day as was normal when I didn't have any welding jobs to go to. I treated the coffee shop like my business office. I was sitting there on my first cup of coffee which was just after the place had opened around 6 Am when in walked the guy who I bought my tires and diesel from for my welding rig. Often there might be 4 or 5 others join us for our morning coffee and or breakfast. While Charles and I were sitting there a manager for a small truck fleet walked in and asked Charles if he could install new tires on 8 of his trailers and have them done by noon.
    Well I can probably get them delivered by 8;30 since I don't have that many in stock but I'm by myself today my helper is off today.
    I piped up and said heck Charles I'll give you a hand with your 2 air compressors and the one I have on my welding rig it shouldn't take too long.
    We finished breakfast went to his gas station loaded up several jack stands and extra tire tools and jacks. Charles called Remington tire and order 64 tires to be delivered We went to the trucking company and got started Since all trailer had the same size and type wheels and tires we let the air out of all of the outside tires then I would run the impact and remove all of the outer nuts and pull the outer duel off and lay it on the ground No jacks needed to do this. Charles had a sliding tire hammer and he would spray a little gasoline around the rim to soften the rubber so 1 hit would break the bead loose then flip the tire and break the other bead then remove the tire with 2 tire irons . We had 32 bare rims laying around by the time the tire truck arrived. and 1 trailer jacked up ready to pull the inside duels off. While I was helping the driver unload the tires Charles started mounting them. Out of the corner of my eye I see a brief flash of flame and hear a whoosh and thump.
    Charles had 7 or 8 tires mounted and 4 at a time being aired up by the time the truck was unloaded. When 1 would get aired up I would grab it and roll it to a trailer then remove an inside and install the new one then repeat the process I would install both inner and outer then move to the next axle. Finally when we were close to being finished or down to the last couple of trailer we took a break. Then Charles showed me some of his most cherished secrets of how he dismounted and remounted truck tires.
    1 looked like a spindly jaws of life on the end of a 4 ft pipe that was his main tire tool just take a pair of regular tire irons to lift the bead over the rim at 1 spot then insert the spreading jaws to lift it the rest of the way off then repeat for the other bead to install the new tire he first wiped both beads with a gas soaked rag started the bead then with 1 tire iron pulled it on as far as it would go then hit the bead with the rubber head of his short handled tire hammer once both beads were on he would connect the air hose then spray some starting fluid in the tire and spray a trail to the tread strike a match and toss it at the evaporating fluid flash swoosh thump after a few seconds remove the air chuck install the valve core finish inflating.
    If there was one lesson I really learned that day was to never offer to help a tire guy change a fleet of tires. By the time we were done I could barely move my arms
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Feb 20, 2019)

Thread Information