Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Help for tired old eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Help for tired old eyes

I recently moved my Huot drill index to a drawer where, despite polishing the raised size markers, it's a bit difficult for my aging eyes to make out the sizes.

As luck would have it, a recent tip email from Machinist's Workshop had a helpful suggestion. For the fractional drills put everyone that's an integer multiple of 1/16 in point down. Then it's easy to locate the one you want. The integer multiples of 1/32 are midway between the upside-downs and the drills immediately next to them are plus and minus 1/64.

The email went on to suggest inverting every numbered drill that's an integer multiple of 5 and inverting the letter drills that correspond to the vowels.

My letter markings are large enough to see easily but the suggestions for the fractional and number drills appealed to me. However, despite having a high personal anality quotient, I just know I'd forget and put the drills in right way around after use.

However, markings corresponding to the scheme are easy to do. I used the white paint pen shown to put a dot by every n*5 number drill and by the n/16 fractionals. Now it's much easier to find what I need without undue squinting.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 8, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 1, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great ideas, all. Having grown up metric my first quarter century until Canada arrival in 1965, I got a chuckle out of your
    "black - right hand inferial sizes
    green - left hand inferial sizes
    red - metric" method. "inferial" is perfect! (I still find the imperial system a cross between infernal and inferior).

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    Great ideas, all. Having grown up metric my first quarter century until Canada arrival in 1965, I got a chuckle out of your
    "black - right hand inferial sizes
    green - left hand inferial sizes
    red - metric" method. "inferial" is perfect! (I still find the imperial system a cross between infernal and inferior).
    If I used the adjective I use when alone in the shop, I'd get thrown off the forum.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information