Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Helpful Hint Regarding DIY Tool Making

Thanks

Helpful Hint Regarding DIY Tool Making

This is my first post (other than the intro section). Since I am new to the site, I haven't gotten a feel for what is "common knowledge" amongst the members here, but hopefully this will be of some help.

Go online and find the tool/kit/product that fits you're needs and try to download the owners manual for that product. Often times they are offered online for free through the company than manufactures it, but many sites have downloadable .pdf's that work as well.

By obtaining the manual of the product you wish to build, you will 99.9% of the time find a parts explosion which will tell you the size, shape, thread pitch, material used, torque specification and dimensions of EVERY...SINGLE...COMPONENT. Its becomes a buildsheet and a parts list that you can take to you're local hardware store and match up the components so you can literally build the exact product without selling a kidney.

I am a mechanic so I am always looking for a faster, more effective way of doing things. Just so you get the idea, I have attached a pic as an example of what you can get by downloading manuals when available. Of course, they is going to have to be some improvising on some, but why not take advantage of the customer service benefits without even having to be the customer?? It has worked for me, hopefully this will you too.

HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO COMPANIES THAT OFFER FREE MANUAL DOWNLOADS

ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find manuals online!
    OTC Tools <---(FWIW This company makes most of Snap-on and Matcos diag. tools)
    Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

***There are 2 attachments. Forgot to rename them before uploading***
    Attached Images Attached Images

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordison460 For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 13, 2015), Edge20 (May 14, 2015), Jon (May 13, 2015), kbalch (May 14, 2015), Paul Jones (May 18, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Great tip, Jordison460! I specially like the second link you posted.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information