Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hemi Hauler

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools

Hemi Hauler

Awhile back Jere posted his creeper build and it reminded me of my Hemi Hauler I built back in the mid 70's. I had mentioned it in the postings and the use of car seat material for durability. I was in the shed the other day and spied it in the corner so I shot a few pictures with my cell phone (not great quality) to share with you all.

I was doing car and motorcycle work out of my garage, part time back then and was really tired of up and down on my knees on the concrete. They had similar things out there but they cost the earth to me at the time and were a bit unstable to me. This was built from old bed frame angle iron, some scrap plywood, old egg crate foam, an early 60's Chevy seat material, casters from a broken creeper, and some odds & sods nuts and bolts.

Basically eyeballed most of it and gas brazed the angle iron pieces, hand drilled most of the holes and put it together in an afternoon. It has amazed me that it held up through all I've done with it let alone the kids riding it down our sloped driveway for several years. Even the hand painted Hemi Hauler has lasted through all the brakeclean, brake fluid, oils and solvents. Can't remember if I put Varathane on the wood or what it was but it cleans up fine...and the Chevy seat cover held up for 40+ years and maybe 500 miles. A few bolts have fallen out and probably needs a tune up and FEA but it is probably one of my most used Homemade tools ever.

Hemi Hauler-hemi-hauler1w.jpg Hemi Hauler-hemi-hauler3w.jpg
    Hemi Hauler-hemi-hauler4w.jpg Hemi Hauler-hemi-hauler5w.jpg

Hope some find it useful and simple to make. ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 7, 2019), C-Bag (Mar 15, 2016), high-side (Aug 7, 2019), Jon (Mar 15, 2016), kbalch (Mar 16, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jun 25, 2016), will52100 (Aug 6, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks PJs! We've added your Shop Creeper Seat to our Storage and Organization category, as well as to your builder page: PJs' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Ok you got me PJ's, why Hemi Hauler?

I am dense but I read your description several times and inquiring dense minds gotta know.

Just better than Butt Bucket, or Rump Roller or Squat n' Scoot?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 16, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Ok C-Bag, You know what happens when you sit on cold concrete for extended times...they flair up...or is that a myth? The double entendre of the V8 Mopar from the era and hauling mine around instead of sitting on the concrete making them worse seemed fitting...and the kids liked it, making engine noises riding it down the driveway. However I really like your Squat n' Scoot a lot.

One of the other nice things I used to like about the design was I could put a "Pie Tin" parts pan back under the seat to put nuts, bolts, clips, etc. and leave the front area open for the tools of the job. It was also a good height for me (6'6") to reach most everything on a motorcycle and not have my knees up around my ears. Thanks C-Bag!!
    Mark Twain

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 16, 2016), will52100 (Aug 6, 2019)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    ahhhh, the dim bulb goes on. I was contemplating it before clarification and I thought, maybe I'm over thinking this...maybe he's one of those guys like Bob Dole who talks about himself in the third person. So it would be the him/me hauler. Wrong again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 16, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    ahhhh, the dim bulb goes on. I was contemplating it before clarification and I thought, maybe I'm over thinking this...maybe he's one of those guys like Bob Dole who talks about himself in the third person. So it would be the him/me hauler. Wrong again

One does tend to use I with verve until it becomes apparently disconcerting the prescience of self is overwhelming to oneself and others. ~¿@
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 16, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I feel doubly left out because I didn't make mine like you did. the first thing I ever bought from snap-on was a Squat N Scoot basically like yours. They must have made it for those of us vertically challenged 'cause it fits me perfect being only 5'5". 40yrs later it's still good. What a knee and back saver. Not until the last place I worked as a mech did we have a rack, so I used the old S N S more than a creeper. It has the tray like yours and not only is it handy to keep parts and tool in(especially brake jobs) but it should be noted it's way easier on your tools than cement. And like you said the enlarged base/tray means it far more stable than the silly junk in HFT or auto parts stores.

Good job. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Homemadetools.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Mar 16, 2016), PJs (Mar 16, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I remember the Snap-on ones and was already in debt to the Snap-on guy for way too much. A nice unit but way over priced even though it lasts 40 years like most of their stuff it was too small for me, like you said. The new version is $200. However it has a cool drawer under the seat and divided base and two color flavors.

My son picked up one of the Craftsman ones and do like magnetic divided trays, but it's like sitting on a Pogo stick to me. I can get it to a good height for me though. However I would never ride it down the driveway though...crazy as I am. ~¿@

I also did a lot of front end work back in the day and it was great for upper/lower "A's" and ball joints, bearings etc.

Agreed, HomemadeTools is just the best!!
    Last edited by PJs; Mar 16, 2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I made mine from a round piece of old counter top,5 HF casters 2 pipe flanges and a piece of 3/4” pipe. Works like a charm. Even sewed my own seat cover. Love it.
    Ditto about home made tools.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information