Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 54 ... LastLast

Thread: High-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    You might have Microsoft but they wouldn't be anywhere without good old British ingenuity, We got Babbage and the colossus for you.
    High-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-a30706.jpgHigh-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-146173014190110.jpgHigh-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-bab-t-173.jpgHigh-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-difference_engine_299x306_1.jpgHigh-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-690dbaab5062e5f7d882c7d4d8601c0d.jpg

Its all Greek to me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

perhaps we got the idea somewhere.

I know you guys nicked an Enigma from the Germans but I don't know where ours at Bletchly came from. (obviously the Germans)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Nov 10, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I love the opening Phrase from Tide-Predicting Machine No. 2 IEEE website,

Scientists and engineers may benefit from a long-⁠abandoned approach to computing - yep get rid of narcissistic nerds. Cogs and gears that's what i'm talking about - All you need in a power cut is a small child and an exercise bike, that's resilience for you.

2000 Tool Plans
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    High-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools-poppy_in_wheat_field.jpg

Thank you, to all those who have served, are serving and remember those who have fallen.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Nov 10, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 11, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Nov 15, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 14, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Construction of the wind tunnel at the Ames Research Center. July, 1943.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...l_fullsize.jpg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Clockguy (Nov 13, 2018), MeJasonT (Nov 14, 2018), PJs (Nov 18, 2018), rossbotics (Nov 20, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Photo may have been taken on a day off work, I could only find one workman, far left on the ground level, and an older [for 1943 photo] pickup truck also on ground level. The quality of the photo is rather clear since, if you click on the "Full size image" link and then click on the image itself, it will bring up a closeup image which really shows details rather clearly. There is a crane hook hanging just off the ground near the center and about 2/3 of the way down which you cannot see in the original photo but is shown clearly in the extreme closeup. Amazing technology for a girder construction of such massive dimensions and built during the wartime era.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clockguy For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Clockguy if you will follow along on the left side past the workman you will see a few other workers much further back
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Nov 14, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Clockguy if you will follow along on the left side past the workman you will see a few other workers much further back
    In the trench!

I’m on my cell and the amount of detail is impressive. I’m guessing a professional photographer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Nov 14, 2018)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    A really good example of a clear safe work area with non of that health and safety rubbish to fall over and get tangled up in.

When they ban plastic are we going to get back to good old manufacturing and assembly. Not that that applies here.
    when you look at old PCs like IBM and ICL machines, built of metal and built to last, then the advent of the personal computer where we saw the first Apple, Commodore and Amstrad which were these space like futuristic plastic things. Its surprising how quick technology can change - in January we had Plastic shanked ear buds and by July the plastic had gone. Shame the shops didn't offer an alternative here in the UK with carrier bags, its plastic bag + a 5p tax or nothing. I miss old stuff, at least it was fixable.

I wonder how many motorway bridges will outlive Brunels bridges.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Nov 14, 2018 at 04:20 AM.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Weldment assembly floor. Philadelphia Naval Base. From the Library of Congress.

View southeast of weldment assembly floor in structures shop, building 57; the floor is fabricated of cast iron and features a grillwork of 1 1/2 square holes which are used as sockets for gripping positioning or lock down pins; a lock down pin is shown left and below the center of the photograph; the vertical section of the pin is placed into a hole in the cast steel floor while the angles section of the pin rests on the piece under construction; the pin is hammered into the hole and spring tension in the pin holds the work piece in position. - Naval Base Philadelphia-Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Structure Shop, League Island, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h..._fullsize1.jpg

And another.

Overall interior view of structures shop (11 shop) located on west side of building 57 - looking north; the south end of the structures shop was devoted to welding heavy plate foundations and ship components; the floor is fabricated of case steel and features a grillwork of 1 1/2 fabricated holes which are used as sockets for gripping position pins. - Naval Base Philadelphia-Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Structure Shop, League Island, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h..._fullsize2.jpg

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Nov 15, 2018), PJs (Nov 18, 2018), rossbotics (Nov 20, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Those appear identical to 'Acorn' weld platens. That size run about $3-4,000, USED. No less than 60 are in view, ~$100,000, but a mere fraction of those installed. I've chased them before; to no avail :-(. No luckier snagging a pair of floor plates instead.
    Floor plates, essentially are large machine tables; tee-slotted, some are drilled/ tapped, some have both.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Thread Information