Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill

Thanks

scorch's Tools

High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill

Mount for attaching an auxiliary router motor to a CNC milling machine. Cast from aluminum and finish machined to fit.

High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill-mount_05_installed.jpg

Here is a picture of the Craftsman router and finished mount before assembly.
    High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill-mount_03_finish_w_router.jpg

Link to Project Page:
    High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill | Scorch Works Blog

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Apr 15, 2015), Paul Jones (Apr 16, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks scorch! I've added your High-Speed Spindle Mount to our Forging and Casting category, as well as to your builder page: scorch's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    My builder page (scorch's Homemade Tools) is starting to look like a tools for routers page. I am going to have to change it up a little for my next tool.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    I'm impressed that you even take the time to cast your aluminum before making the part you need. Great job!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

scorch (Apr 15, 2015)

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    @DIYer, You have an interesting take on casting the part first. I don't consider it "taking time". I think it might actually save time in the end since there is a lot less machining to do after the part is cast. Making the wood pattern also allows me to work out what the part will look like as I build the wood pattern. When I am making the wood pattern I can just glue on more wood if I want to add a tab or make a feature thicker. If I went straight to making it out of aluminum I wouldn't have that flexibility.

Not to mention the raw material cost is dramatically lower when I cast the part from scrap aluminum. I use aluminum that would otherwise be discarded so it is essentially free. Of course I do have to pay for the fuel to melt the aluminum.

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Thanks for posting this! When I saw that router mount casting on your page it inspired me and I immediately bough the Gingery foundry book. I did some alu casting in college and have always wanted to do more. This is definitely on my list of skillz to work on.

Do you have any pics of your forge and crucibles?

-Tyler

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    The Gingery book is good. Another good source of information is Backyardmetalcasting.com
    I use the homemade refractory recipe that is on the Backyard metal casting site. I can't remember why for sure but I think the refractory in the Gingery book needed something I didn't have or didn't want to source.

I use a steel crucible. It is made from angle iron and bottom plate that I welded together (Using a homemade welder of course.). I also have a smaller on made from welded together sheet (~.1 inches thick).

My furnace is made from an old popcorn tin. It has pictures of snowmen and holly on it so it is pretty funny to see it in the yard during the summer.

(To get an idea of scale the furnace cover pictured below is 12 inches in diameter.)

Picture of the Furnace and Crucible:
    High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill-furnace_crucible.jpg

Picture of the furnace cover (it is cracked but it is reinforced with "rebar")
    High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill-furnace_cover.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 17, 2015)

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Cool, thanks for taking the time to document and share.
    I will be building my set-up soon.
    -Tyler

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    I found this picture of the as cast part with the gate and sprue still attached. I though it might be of interest.
    High Speed Spindle (Router) Mount for a CNC Mill-mount_01_as_cast.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 17, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    @DIYer, You have an interesting take on casting the part first. I don't consider it "taking time". I think it might actually save time in the end since there is a lot less machining to do after the part is cast. Making the wood pattern also allows me to work out what the part will look like as I build the wood pattern. When I am making the wood pattern I can just glue on more wood if I want to add a tab or make a feature thicker. If I went straight to making it out of aluminum I wouldn't have that flexibility.

Not to mention the raw material cost is dramatically lower when I cast the part from scrap aluminum. I use aluminum that would otherwise be discarded so it is essentially free. Of course I do have to pay for the fuel to melt the aluminum.
    That's a great point of view, scorch, one that never occurred to me. When I said taking time, it was from knowing dangerously little about casting, only enough to know that voids can be a problem, resulting in poor quality and frustration. Looking forward to more of your posts so that I keep on learning from this site.

Thread Information