Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hole type flycutter drilling aid

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Hole type flycutter drilling aid

Had to drill the holes for my boats gauges today. Turned out they were 83.5mm Diameter. Needless to say I did not have an 83.5 mm hole saw.
    Best next to that was a fly cutter style hole saw I bought to cut holes in the ceilings for down lights. I could remember from using it the last time that the center hole (running a drill bit in it) wore out to the end and caused some damage. Solution a nice 2 x 4 screwed to the back where you want to drill the hole and the drill bit does not wear the 2 x 4 out as fast as the plasterboard.
    How to apply this knowledge when drilling into a freshly manufactured center console of my boat.
    Took a piece of scrap 6mm Ali plate, drilled the diameter of the drill to be used in the fly cutter and then using all the info from "how to punch right on the cross lines". I machines right up to one of the X axis and one of the Y axis, Then just 2 small holes to secure it to the center console and whalla.
    lined up the cut outs to the pencil lines and secured with the s small self tappers. Making the aid took about 2 hours but drilling the 2 holes no longer than 10 minutes and the gauges just propped in. Will keep this little aid for a next time.
    Hole type flycutter drilling aid-guages-1.jpgHole type flycutter drilling aid-guages2.jpgHole type flycutter drilling aid-guages3.jpgHole type flycutter drilling aid-guages4.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Jan 6, 2018 at 11:18 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Feb 13, 2020), HobieDave (Apr 11, 2020), Home-PC (Sep 29, 2022), JD62 (Jan 7, 2018), olderdan (Jan 6, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 7, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 7, 2018), shepwales (Jun 9, 2022), Sleykin (Sep 29, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 7, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Fly Cutter Drilling Aid to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information