Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home Made angle plate for disk sander

Thanks

737mechanic's Tools

Home Made angle plate for disk sander

I made this angle plate for my 12in disk sander so I could grind accurate tool bits for my lathe.

Home Made angle plate for disk sander-20160228_170031.jpg

Home Made angle plate for disk sander-20160228_170049.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 737mechanic For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 4, 2019), bruce.desertrat (Jul 3, 2019), Christofix (Jul 4, 2019), Home-PC (Aug 20, 2021), Jon (Jul 1, 2019), rlm98253 (Aug 17, 2021), shopandmath (Jul 5, 2019), Sprig1 (Jul 3, 2019), Tonyg (Jul 3, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks 737mechanic! We've added your Disc Sander Angle Plate to our Angle Guides and Try Squares category,
    as well as to your builder page: 737mechanic's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

737mechanic (Jul 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    This is a genuine question not a criticism.
    Why are disc sanders popular? I have always failed to see any benefit over a belt sander. The surface speed varies over the face whereas it is constant with a belt.
    I have a combined belt and disc sander but I have removed the disc because I could not find any application which the belt did not do better.

What am I missing?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 3, 2019), bobs409 (Jul 4, 2019), Jon (Jul 3, 2019), Tuomas (Jul 4, 2019), Wmrra13 (Jul 3, 2019)

Thanks

Christofix's Tools
    Very clever jig! If I have a disk sander this will defenetly a jig I will build.

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    I'm with Tony and eager to be taught some new disc sander skills/uses.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Tony,

my take on answering your question...
    disc sanders were popular because the sanding media is cheap - a disc is as simple as a piece of ply with a flange nut attached, and the sanding paper is a simple flat sheet glued on, and trimmed to fit, whereas for many years belts were seen as expensive (in comparison) and mounting them could involve adjusting the tracking on your machine.

when I was at school, the teachers encouraged us to use the disc more than the belt simply because the disc was cheap and easy to change, the belt could be trashed in a few seconds if a student wasn't paying attention and ripped it.

if order of "cheap-ness to feed" the least expensive is hand sanding, followed by 1/3 sheet orbital, followed by disc, followed by belt.
    Nowadays you would have to figure out where highly proprietary units like oscillating tools, mouse sanders, etc fit in the mix - probably between disc and belt.

Thinking about it further, the disc sander is easy to make - simply a motor spindle, and a table - whereas a belt grinder/sander requires higher precision in frame construction, belt tension devices, tracking abilities, as well as the same key components of a disc sander...

my 2c
    Des

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Why are disc sanders popular? I have always failed to see any benefit over a belt sander. The surface speed varies over the face whereas it is constant with a belt.
    I have a combined belt and disc sander but I have removed the disc because I could not find any application which the belt did not do better.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by desbromilow; Jul 3, 2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added manufacturing considerations

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 3, 2019), greyhoundollie (Jul 3, 2019), Jon (Jul 3, 2019), tonyfoale (Jul 4, 2019), volodar (Jul 6, 2019)

Thanks

737mechanic's Tools

What am I missing?
    I agree that a belt sander is nicer, to be honest, the variable sfpm isn't a concern but I would rather have a belt sander but all I have is the disk sander, I also have a bench grinder but the important thing here is even with a belt sander as long as you have a table with a slot which most belt sanders do then you could make an angle plate for it the same way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 737mechanic For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jul 4, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I didn't have a sander of any sort and I bought some stick on sanding discs to fit my calibration plate for my table saw and boom I instantly had a powerful disc sander that's proved to be useful. If you have a table saw you should already have a calibration plate for aligning the motor precisely to the table top for safety and more accurate cuts. I'll buy a belt sander too when my lotto ticket hits.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jul 4, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

What am I missing?
    You cannot beat a nice portable belt sander if you need a nice flat or simple convex curve. A stationary is very nice also. I wish I had one, but I clamp my portable in the vise if I must have the belt stationary.

Disk sanders are cheaper and can be made easily from a drill if you do not have a dedicated one. Just today, I made one from a nut, bolt, sandpaper, and a piece of wood. Chucked the bolt in my lathe, got the job done even though the belt broke on my belt sander.

You can get disk sanders (portable) into places you cannot get a belt. A disk is more suited to surfaces that are more complex. Autobody work for example. Yes they have straight line flat air tools in the body shop, but mostly you see orbital disks for finish work or course disk grinders for stripping paint, etc from complex shapes.

I think it boils down to cost, disks are cheaper. On your stationary, do your roughing on the disk, save the belt for those things that need the better finish surface

Lots more examples, but I am being summoned for dinner.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Hi guys, my 2c...Disc sanders are more traditionally used in woodworking, whereas belt sanders are used for metalworking. Advantages and disadvantages of both types in both mediums. strip type belt sanders, 1-2' belts are pretty useless for the typical edge sanding you might do with wood, as the wood pieces are generally largish. The 12' disc sander with wood is easy and safe to use and easy to not oversand. I have a 12' disc I put in the table saw, which allows me to use the mitre gauge. I also have an Abbott & Ashby 8" grinder with 36" x 4" belt and 7" disc, which gets used a LOT...but in saying all that, metal=belt, wood=disc; far more often than not...and don't scrimp on abrasives! Buy the best you can; they cut cleaner and last far longer. Cheers
    Jim Home Made angle plate for disk sander-grinder.jpg

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jul 4, 2019)

Thread Information