Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Home Made Anvil

Thanks

Forge Wright's Tools

Home Made Anvil

Hi Guys,
    This is a fast forward video of my home made anvil. It is constructed using 3 sections of railway track as the base with a striker plate on top that I hardface welded for durability. The end result is an anvil that weighs in at 110kgs. It was built for a fraction of the price of a comparable weighted traditional anvil and works perfectly well as you can see in my other forging videos. If you would like to see the full series of videos where I go into detail of the whole design and construction process please visit my YouTube page @ Forge Wright. I do hope you enjoy this video.

If so please visit Forge Wright and check out the other videos and feel free to subscribe while your there
    Cheers Andy

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forge Wright For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jul 11, 2019), Frank S (Jul 11, 2019), Jon (Jul 18, 2019), rlm98253 (Jul 11, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,789 Times in 9,904 Posts

Thanks Forge Wright! We've added your Anvil to our Anvils category,
    as well as to your builder page: Forge Wright's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Nice wide plate anvil with a goodly amount of mass as well. Hard facing the plate will mean it is going to last you forever there may be some edge chipping eventually but that is to be expected on any hardened face anvil. I've seen a few 2 track piece anvils but I believe this is the first 3 track. nice touch
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Forge Wright's Tools
    Thanks Frank S, Im very happy with the way it turned out, as you say it has plenty of mass to pound on and is surprisingly stable. It had a bit of a ring to it when I first made the stand and started using it but I have since put 6 mm rubber matting between the anvil and the timber stand as well as between the stand and the concrete floor which quietened it down heaps. Haven't had any edge damage as yet but if it starts to get too worn I will just weld up the new edges. I have never seen a 3 track anvil either, but the concept of having the middle track create the basis of the horn made sense to me and that's why I thought Id give it a go, always love a challenge.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    GREAT JOB ANDY, Your are an artist at best. Thanks for the video

Thanks

Forge Wright's Tools
    Thank you for your kind comment. Your welcome to check out my channel Forge Wright and subscribe if you like the content. Cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information