Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer

Thanks

brianhw's Tools

Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer

I made this Filing Machine from a scrap Stihl saw and various scrap bits and pieces recently and have just posted it on my YouTube channel to supplement all my other videos. All reasonable questions answered. You can see the (approximately 7 minute) video by by clicking the arrowhead below:-

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to brianhw For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 3, 2018), baja (Jan 22, 2020), bobs409 (Mar 30, 2018), extropic (Dec 13, 2017), farzink (Jan 29, 2017), H.L (Jun 20, 2016), jjr2001 (Jun 20, 2016), Jon (Jun 16, 2016), Mark Fogleman (Jun 20, 2016), Neil Jensen (Jun 20, 2016), Okapi (Sep 13, 2016), Paul Jones (Jun 19, 2016), rlm98253 (Dec 13, 2017), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 21, 2018), SRCowan (Dec 16, 2017), Tuomas (Jun 16, 2016), will52100 (Dec 16, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks brianhw! We've added your Filing Machine to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: brianhw's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations brianhw - your Filing Machine is the Tool of the Week!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-white-tshirt-front.jpgHome Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-white-tshirt-back.jpg
    Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-black-tshirt-front.jpgHome Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-black-tshirt-back.jpg

We've also added the wrench-on-pedestal award to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

Just PM me your details (size, black/white color choice, and mailing address) and we'll get your award sent out.

Congratulations and nice job.

Thanks

McDesign's Tools
    What about pressure on the back side of the tooth on the return stroke? I understand that wears files quickly.

Was wondering - been hand-filing a lot lately -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-100_0979.jpg   Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-img_0292.jpg   Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-img_0293.jpg   Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-100_0718.jpg   Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-img_0208.jpg  

Home Made Filing Machine or Die Filer-100_0677.jpg  

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Yes, McDesign, ideally it should have a fore and aft movement like the better quality jig saws, but this was impractical to construct and in use it doesn't seem to have any noticeable adverse effects on the files. 'Rubbing wear' on files on the back stroke is widely greatly exaggerated, I think.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brianhw For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Dec 14, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I have used an industrial floor standing filing machine with adjustable stroke maxing out at 6 inches, mainly used for profiling templates.
    As I recall it had a purely linear action with no back stroke relief.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    If you're interested in adding backstroke relief to a filing machine Google motion picture projector film advance mechanisms.

A given frame of the film must sit stationary in the gates for a short period of time while the advance mechanism pulls back and reaches down/up for a new frame to replace the stationary one being projected.

There are many mechanical arrangements for doing this push/pull, backoff, rise/fall, reengage sequence. I'm familiar with a D-drive implementation and another based on the Reuleaux triangle (of rotary engine fame) but there are probably dozens others.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information