Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Home made horizontal milling machine.

Thanks
    One heck of a nice job and from the way back time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Bill in SE Idaho, Given enough incentive and proper motivation anything can be fixed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bvd1940 For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Dec 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    I really hope you do post about 'EVERYTHING'. I didn't read much about you until probably late 70's early 80. There are only a couple of people I 'trust'for information. Leon Moss was one, David Vizard and yourself. I used to build stuff 'all the time' (mainly because I was broke growing up in South Wales in the 60's/70's (I was 3 in 1960 )
    I am not familiar with Moss's stuff but I like Vizard's. In general good sensible, everyday, down to earth advice. He has been around the block a few times. Occasionally it falls down with some basic physics but his vast experience makes up for it. For motorcycle engine freaks some of the stuff is not totally applicable, but that is not just Vizard. Much that he and many others write about refers to porting car engines which start off with diabolical ports. So much of it is about turning a pig's ear into a silk purse, whereas motorcycle engines generally start off with far better ports which would be ruined by applying some of the same techniques.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    Hi Tony,
    As a lover of those ancient milling machines, I think you've made a very good job, in my workshop is hi big sister
    Show us some photos then.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    I wish you a nice end of year, for us it's "Joyeux Noël et bonne année".
    Pierre
    Feliz navidad y año nuevo to everybody.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Horizontal Milling Machine to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Surface Grinder to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    I just followed the email headline , horizontal mill . Began reading story , and development of tools and moves. The word dyno in the old picture caught my eye, and I thought this must be a motorcycle guy !?. Then the Australia ,England to Spain moves sounded awfully familiar , Welcome Tony ! From your biggest fan in this region ! . There are just tons of interesting builds of every type of machinery !
    With Admiration ,Ed Flanagan(Pennswoodsed)
    Last edited by pennswoodsed; Jan 2, 2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling ,grammer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pennswoodsed For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jan 7, 2017)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
    I just followed the email headline , horizontal mill . Began reading story , and development of tools and moves. The word dyno in the old picture caught my eye, and I thought this must be a motorcycle guy !?. Then the Australia ,England to Spain moves sounded awfully familiar , Welcome Tony ! From your biggest fan in this region ! . There are just tons of interesting builds of every type of machinery !
    With Admiration ,Ed Flanagan(Pennswoodsed)
    Ed,

Many thanks for the kind words. I have to plead guilty, I have been known to ride a motorcycle or two from time to time as you mention. You have just given me an idea for another posting. I have made two engine dynos in the past (1960s and 1970s) by modifying car torque converters. Maybe I should write those up? Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of photos, before the advent of the digital camera I was thrifty with film.
    When I joined this forum (the only one that I am active on) I made a list of future topics to work through and I thought that it was fairly complete, but the dynos were not on it. Maybe I'll make it my next contribution.
    You are right there are tons of interesting builds here. I hope that you find my other posts as interesting as this one, but I should point out that building tools is not my passion, they are just a means toward building motorcycles, which is my passion. Hence, my tools tend to be functional without the mechanical and artistic beauty and finish of many other contributors on this forum.

PS. I thought that I recognised your name so I searched my past emails, to see that we corresponded 6 years ago about you attending one of my Motorcycle Dynamics Seminars. Well I hope to do at least one this year on the east coast, probably in the Manchester NH area. I usually come over several times a year to race at Loudon. It would be prior to a racing weekend, possibly on a Wed. and Thurs. I do that just in case of injury whilst racing.
    Last edited by tonyfoale; Jan 7, 2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Small addition.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

that_other_guy's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Thanks guys. As a newbie on this forum I was not sure what sort of posts were of interest to the rest of you. ..........For example I made a flow bench which is largely mechanical like other devices but some of these tools need electronics, either home-made or using devices like Arduinos, to enable them to work. Are forum members also interested in those details?
    I am very interested!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Brian

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by that_other_guy View Post
    I am very interested!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Brian
    Brian,

I assume that you are talking about the flow bench? I keep trying to find the time for that, actually I must have at least 100 projects that I would like to document, I create them quicker than I can write about them.

Home made horizontal milling machine.-flowbench_03.jpg Home made horizontal milling machine.-swirl01.jpg Home made horizontal milling machine.-swirly_01.jpg Click for full size images.

For the time being here are some pix of the bench and some of my swirl meter.

Home made horizontal milling machine.-s1.jpg Home made horizontal milling machine.-s2.jpg Home made horizontal milling machine.-s3.jpg

Here are some shots of the software.

There is a shock dyno build that I did on this forum if you are interested and you may find web site of interest, the link to that is in my signature below.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jan 4, 2019), that_other_guy (Jan 6, 2019)

Thanks

crazypj's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I am not familiar with Moss's stuff but I like Vizard's..
    Been a while since I could get online, been looking after grandson last 2 yrs. I thought 2 yr olds were close to 'perpetual motion' but 3 is even closer.
    Leon Moss was founder of LEDAR, died in a hang gliding accident if I remember right. He did work for HONDA for 'Superbike' racing in early 80's. Probably the best carb guy in the world at the time. Don't know if you've looked into it at all but could one of the cheap weather anemometers be used to measure airflow in flow bench? It would work along the lines of Vizard's 'floating point' bench with a ~5hp vacuum cleaner/shop vac
    Last edited by crazypj; Dec 31, 2018 at 05:23 PM.

Thread Information