Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade “wonder pup”

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    MKOLTZ, How come you got all those trophies and I only got a few???....:O)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I suppose that being both a model engineer and a certified tool aficionado means I bring a sort of quirky combination of unusual information to the forum. That plus having been at this for 75 years and having a father who lived through the depression and the war and had to make what he needed; he passed a lot of his knowledge and DIY enthusiasm on to me.

Flexible drivers are also very handy with miniature equipment. This set...

https://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-S...engfa+tool+kit

which I own, contains one as well as the hard-to-find miniature hex sockets in sizes M2.5,M3.0,M3.5,M4.0,M4.5,M5.0,M5.5, There's even triangular screwdriver bits (haven't found a use for them yet) and some bits that look a bit like hex bits but have only t five sides (probably some alien spacecraft standard). Miniature pozidrive bits are hard to find and, if memory serves, it has those too. Regardless, highly recommended if you are forced to deal with the small side of the universe.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 4, 2016), PJs (Nov 3, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 5, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Flexible drivers are also very handy with miniature equipment. This set...

https://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-S...engfa+tool+kit

which I own, contains one as well as the hard-to-find miniature hex sockets in sizes M2.5,M3.0,M3.5,M4.0,M4.5,M5.0,M5.5, There's even triangular screwdriver bits (haven't found a use for them yet) and some bits that look a bit like hex bits but have only t five sides (probably some alien spacecraft standard). Miniature pozidrive bits are hard to find and, if memory serves, it has those too. Regardless, highly recommended if you are forced to deal with the small side of the universe.
    Busted me up with the Alien Spacecraft Standard! I was in Lowes one day and picked up this set...now on (of all places) Amazon. Even with the bad reviews, I like it and never given me any problems. Like the flex in your set though for another 10duckets. Somewhere I think I have a 1/4" flex driver... HFT has a Security Bit set <$10 that has a bunch of the odd ball bits in it...only used one of the odd balls I think somewhere in my travels and definitely not to reverse engineer alien technology.

This set is my Golden Go To for small stuff...present from my Mrs. Each of the blades is laser etched with paint for easy choosing. They fit like Snap-On and hard as rocks with a great feel to the handle.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    No worries. One way to decide that you have a full complement of tools is to overlook the application of one to the job at hand. Note that I said "full complement" and not "too many". The latter is an impossibility. Anyhow, glad it works for you.
    Nor ''too many full compliments''. Marv certainly earns them. Reminds me, his avatar a rather creative individual as well, worked in a Swiss (?) patent office early in his working life. The existence of impossibility is certainly achievable though; but no one's ever done it.
    FLASHBACK: 1990's In Tim Allen's standup routine he'd say "I've got tools...I've got tools to MAKE tools. Yep, makes it possible, just never happens.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Great thread, with a little co-operation outcoming is an excellent product.

Im amazed how fast Morsa creates these new tools. I haven't even finished reading when he makes a new one.
    Wow!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 4, 2016), PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, Tuomas.

The trick is that besides presenting current (scarce) work, I’ve been presenting old works. These clamps were made in march-2014 (photos keep track of the exact date).

In the past, I was a member of a forum in Spanish (foromimecanicapopular.net) that no longer works. Reviewing the list of work presented there and the album of photographs, I’ve made an Excel file with the homemade tools-related topics; there are about 50 still pending issues, that I am threatening to share here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations morsa - your Wonder Pup is the Tool of the Week!

Other nice entries included a Disc Sander by Ed., a Small Lathe Chuck Adapter Plate and Arbor by jjr2001, a Tailstock Die Holder by mattthemuppet, this clever Portable Magnetic Tool Light by jjr2001, and a unique Animal-Drawn Planting Machine by wanqare.

Ultimately it's the iteration on this tool that made it stand apart - hat tip to mklotz for his multiple recommendations

Very interesting win. This is a good example of posting a tool as soon as it's "postable", but not necessarily perfect, and incorporating feedback to fuel the further improvement of the tool. This looks like a veritable DIY "soft skill". Another person adept at this technique is rendoman, with his posts in the Tools in Progress subforum.

This is your second win, so you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current payment email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Here's your previous winning tool:

Congrats again and nice job!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 4, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Congratulations, Morsa. Keep the ideas flowing. I'm anxiously awaiting the 50 ideas you have in store for us.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 4, 2016), PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Congratulations, Morsa! I'm with the others on your prolific ideas and quick implementation of additional ideas of a thread...exemplary IMHO! Definitely looking forward to the next 50 like Marv said! to Marv as well.

Well Deserved. ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 4, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, Jon. I am very grateful not only for the award, but also for your comments. I liked the concept of "soft skill"; It is easy to perceive all these qualities in relationships between users in this forum.

Let me think a little about that choice.

Thread Information