Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: homemade 4 jaw chuck

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools

homemade 4 jaw chuck

homemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01092.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01091.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01090.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01089.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01088.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01087.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01086.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01085.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01244.jpghomemade 4 jaw chuck-dsc01243.jpg

This is a homemade 4 jaw chuck for my "homemade metal working lathe". The foundation is a Ford disk brake rotor. the rest is all scrap metal.

This is my version of Pat Delany’s Multi Machine. see multimachine-Wikipedia.
    This is an example of a home made metal working lathe. It is constructed using recycled engine blocks & auto parts. I have focused on keeping the cost to as near $0.00 as possible The idea I have is to make this lathe using common recycleable auto parts and be assembled with minimum tools. So far the parts used are 2 Mopar slant 6 blocks, a 3/4 ton Chevy rear axle spindle & hub, a 3 speed car transmission, a Chevy V8 head.
    The multimachine is built using vehicle engine blocks combined in a LEGO-like fashion. It utilizes the cylinder bores and engine deck to provide accurate surfaces. Since cylinder bores are bored exactly parallel to each other and at exact right angles to the cylinder head surface, multimachine accuracy begins at the factory where the engine block was built. Parts will be perfectly aligned and at an exact right angle to the face (head surface) of the main engine block that serves as the base of the machine. Blocks have a multitude of tapped holes for mounting accessories. The multimachine uses a unique way of clamping the engine blocks together that is easily built, easily adjusted, and very accurate.
    I am not going to put in a lot of specifics and measurements since most likely your project will become different because of different parts being used. I will post more as the project progresses.
    I relinguish all liability and you will assume all liability & responcibility for any project built. Any comments or advice are appreciated. I will post more as the project progresses. More pics are at "flyingkmachines.wordpress.com My email is "flying.k@juno.com. I'd love to here from you with your thoughts of the project. Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by paulk; Jan 2, 2019 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 22, 2020), baja (Oct 22, 2020), blkadder (Apr 13, 2018), clydeman (Oct 21, 2020), EnginePaul (Oct 21, 2022), Frank S (Apr 13, 2018), Jon (Apr 12, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Apr 13, 2018), mtodd7 (Apr 16, 2018), PJs (Apr 14, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 14, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 14, 2018), Tule (Apr 14, 2018), uv8452 (Oct 6, 2022), volodar (Jan 23, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Link to paulk's website with his excellent Multi-Machine build:

Click here for "Flying K" Machines Website

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 22, 2020), blkadder (Apr 13, 2018), Frank S (Apr 13, 2018), PJs (Apr 14, 2018), thehomeengineer (Apr 13, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Now that's what I call ingenuity
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    the recycling of old engine blocks truck spindles and hubs cylinder head carriage a 3 sp transmission,Scrap metal for everything else including the making of a 4 jaw chuck from scrap bits to create a functioning metal lathe is a brilliant idea
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 14, 2018), volodar (Jan 23, 2019)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Really like it. There is so much going on you just wonder what attachment might fit or pop out from each hole. Great unusual build.
    The Home Engineer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 13, 2018)

Thanks
    I have been following the Multi Machine Google group for some time now. I know this was started to help people in other countries get a machine up and running. I love that you have actually built one, and from the look of it, it is amazing. I am curious if you are planning on building one of the milling machine units.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I saw your website and I can honestly say, "Paulk uses what the world refuses"! I love it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 14, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by blkadder View Post
    I have been following the Multi Machine Google group for some time now. I know this was started to help people in other countries get a machine up and running. I love that you have actually built one, and from the look of it, it is amazing. I am curious if you are planning on building one of the milling machine units.
    I am toying with the idea of a mill. I appreciate your response. My responces go from "Great" to "what a POS" Thanks again, Paul

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools
    This encouragement gives me more food for thought. Thanks, Paul

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks paulk! We've added your Chuck to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: paulk's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

tags: chuck

Thread Information