Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Machinist Tool Chest Made from Plywood

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Homemade Machinist Tool Chest Made from Plywood

Here are some photos of a machinist tool chest I built in 1968 when I was a teenager. It is somewhat crude compared to what I can build today but it works well and has been in constant use all these years. It was built from 1/4" scrap plywood we had left over from finishing a basement remodel. For my birthday during the summer of 1968 my father gave me a Rockwell-Delta 9" table saw (which I still have). It turned out to be a very wise and strategic tool investment because I eventually built more than a dozen built-in cabinets and a finished basement for my parents' house on Bainbridge Island, WA.

This machinist tool box was my first project using the new table saw and only took about three days to part-time build using predrilled holes for fine nails and aliphatic glue. The individual drawers slide very smoothly even when full of tools and extend almost fully despite not having any side or bottom runners. The drawers slide on 1/4" thick plywood dividers that act as a shelf and provide plenty of support when the toolbox is full of tools. I added two small downward protruding machine screws near the top front corners of each drawer opening to serve as stops to prevent the drawers from coming completely out and spilling their contents (in one photo with an open drawer you can see one of these screws). The brass tabs along the bottom and top held a fine brass chain that was used to "lock" the chest.

All drawers but the top two are lined in a fine red felt that I bought on sale after Christmas 1968. The felt was attached using a spray can of the 3-M sprayment adhesive (not sure if this is made anymore) and then very carefully aligned and laid down without stretching or leaving any bumps in the felt. This machinist tool chest is now used mostly for storing cutting tools, carbide inserts, and files. I now use the Kennedy metal tool chests to hold my precision tools, parallels, vee-blocks and other precision set-up tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Machinist Tool Chest Made from Plywood-1968-machinist-tool-box-felt-lined-drawers.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Oct 30, 2015 at 07:19 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 21, 2014), kbalch (Dec 19, 2014), Toolmaker51 (Jun 9, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Considering that it's made from scrap plywood, and in 1968, is very well kept. Good job!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Here are some photos of a machinist tool chest I built in 1968 when I was a teenager. It is somewhat crude compared to what I can build today but it works well and has been in constant use all these years. It was built from 1/4" scrap plywood we had left over from finishing a basement remodel. For my birthday during the summer of 1968 my father gave me a Rockwell-Delta 9" table saw (which I still have). It turned out to be a very wise and strategic tool investment because I eventually built more than a dozen built-in cabinets and a finished basement for my parents' house on Bainbridge Island, WA. This machinist tool box was my first project using the new table saw and only took about three days to build using predrilled holes for fine nails and aliphatic glue. The individual drawers slide very smoothly even when full of tools and extend almost fully despite not having any side or bottom runners. I added two small downward protruding machine screws near the top front corners of each drawer opening to serve as stops to prevent the drawers from coming completely out and spilling their contents (in one photo with an open drawer you can see one of these screws). The brass tabs along the bottom and top held a fine brass chain that was used to "lock" the chest. All drawers bu the top tow are lined in a fine red felt that I bought on sale after Christmas 1968. The felt was attached using a spray can of the 3-M sprayment adhesive (not sure if this is made anymore) and then very carefully aligned and laid down without stretching or leaving any bumps in the felt. This machinist tool chest is now used mostly for storing cutting tools, carbide inserts, and files. I now use the Kennedy metal tool chests to hold my precision tools, parallels, vee-blocks and other precision set-up tools.
    If I had any woodworking talent I would make a few of these!!! WELL DONE!! ... and the History to them makes a great read!! CHEERS!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 3, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    I appreciate the comments. My real life lesson was to buy your kids tools and encourage them to use them well for a lifetime of building enjoyment. My dad would always tell me "Paul, stop pointing out your building mistakes because only you can see them", and my response was "yes, I know, but I want others to see them so they can do it even better". I have learned a lot from mistakes and near misses. Thanks again, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 19, 2014)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks and it looks better in the photos. Last year, the only improvement was a very light sanding on all finishes to remove the scratches (particularly around the knobs) and a couple of coats of Deft semi-gloss clear wood spay finish (my favorite product for this purpose). I did the original finish in a gloss which makes any added finishes look glossy.

The overall dimensions are 20"Wx16"Hx9.5"D, and the inside drawer depths are 1", 1.75", and 4". Back in 1968, I used a hollow-ground planer blade (these were the best blades available until carbide tipped blades) to cut the plywood without splintering.

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes, Paul, this is the one I caught sight of when you posted another tool, isn't it ?
    It is really good looking ! and seems to be fully useful.
    Well done.
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Machinist Tool Chest to our Storage and Organization and Woodworking categories, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Beautiful Paul ... : Aplauso:

: Hattip:
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Love the finish. Nice tool chest Paul.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Nice work and nice write up Paul, And by it's looks it will be around for a day or two more, great work.
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Mar 29, 2015), Paul Jones (Mar 22, 2015)

Thread Information